What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chafing/rubbing on aileron push rod of RV-10 due to aileron trim springs

vas4vans

Friend
During the condition inspection of my (bought) RV-10, my A&P noticed that there was a fair amount of chafing on the aileron push rods in the area of the aileron trim and our conclusion is that it is due to the springs (see attached photos).

We're assuming that this is not a good situation. For now, we have removed the springs (and deactivated the aileron trim).

Firstly - it doesn't look like the push rod is punctured in any way but based on the photo, is there any reason to be concerned about the damage to the push rod?

I found this archived thread: https://vansairforce.net/community/threads/rv-10-aileron-trim.34064/#post-1449855

One suggestion appears to be to bend the part of the servo so that it's further away from the push rod. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

One thought is that a smaller diameter spring with the same strength may not have the same problem. Is that a possible solution and does anyone have a recommendation for such a spring?

Thanks,

Vas

Attachments

• IMG_2709.jpeg
    IMG_2709.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2723.jpeg
    IMG_2723.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2724.jpeg
    IMG_2724.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 77
I saw the same thing after a few hours. My solution was to build slightly longer stand-off's and tweak the actuator arm. Also, I wrapped the pushrod tube with the protective film people use to protect car hoods and the like from rock damage.

Last edited:
Vans Changed the instructions in 2016 making sure the builder checked this condition, prior to that, I guess homebuilders just built on and did not take the time too find out "what that rubbing noise was" when they moved the Ailerons.

The fix is simply to bend the Aileron Trim Motor arm ,forward, away from the Aileron pushrod approx 3/16".

If you have any noise, please inspect, as the springs will eventually wear through the pushrod with possible dire control issues !!

Go to this thread :

Aileron trim noise

This is an old issue. You will hear it as well when you move the ailerons. Bending the servo arm in order to give a bit more clearance also helps a lot.

Back