What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

catto propellers

is anyone flying a 7 with a Catto propeller and if so I'd like to get some feedback
I'm mostly interested in the fixed pitch 3 blade and maybe some performance numbers

thanks in advance

Interested

I am interested in the responses.
I have a 3 blade fixed Catto on my 9A that should be flying in a month. People tell me Catto's factories numbers are pretty accurate.

Our formation group has several planes with catto 3 blades. RV6a, 9a, 8. I am not sure a better fixed pitch exists for the RV.

I have a Catto 3 Blade on my 6A, performs as the specs say by Catto. I can clime at over 1500 FPM loaded and cruise at 155 LOP or 170 KTAS running ROP.

The 3 blade replace a metal 2 blade, less weight, better climb and faster cruise for sure!

is anyone flying a 7 with a Catto propeller and if so I'd like to get some feedback
I'm mostly interested in the fixed pitch 3 blade and maybe some performance numbers

thanks in advance

Use the search function on this forum. I have done extensive testing with these props and have reported the findings. Awesome performance.

Another +1 for the Catto 3 blade on an RV7 IO-360 EFII.

Initially I went with the "good all around prop" that Nicole and the website recommended and found quickly that the pitch was too small. It climbed like a homesick angel. At WOT it would overspeed the prop down low easily and wasn't getting the TAS up high. NIcole then recommended adding another 2" of pitch. This brought the initial climb down about 400 fpm (? maybe) but allowed a much higher cruise speed.

The final prop is 64x78” and it will top out around 175+ IAS at SL (2700 rpm), still climbs great at SL, and will show 170 - 175 TAS at altitude fully loaded (10-13K') on about 8.5 GPH LOP. The airframe is pretty slick and medium weight, and still screams in the climb with just one pilot on board.

I've noticed that as this prop is accelerating from low speed you can really feel the prop pulses until it "gets up on the step" and then it smooths out and really takes off, probably due to the aggressive pitch. Overall a pretty good compromise IMO.

So if you have questions, talk it over with Nicole. She can take care of your issue and has great access to some other pretty smart prop people in the shop too.

Cheers

Looking for the other 3 blade Catto prop RV14A’s

I am about to do my weight and balance with my RV14A and its 3 blade Catto prop. Nichole tells me there are a handful of us out here but cant tell me who you are. I would like to compare weight and balance figures. Please PM me if you are one of us.

Back