What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Temporary Rivets

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
When setting the temporary rivets to hold the canopy to the canopy frame, do you c-sink the plexiglass? In the final installation the canopy skirt will be c-sunk but not the canopy. But the rivets won’t sit properly if the canopy plexiglass isn’t c-sunk for the temp rivets.

Canopy plexi

Navy, Having built 2 RVs the 8 canopy is the most delicate until fixed, there is much discussion and if you get it on and is a nice fit good luck. But. I did not put a drill at all into my canopy and skirt,it’s all Sika Flexed, don’t counter sink the plexi is the answer from me. Good Luck

Navy, Having built 2 RVs the 8 canopy is the most delicate until fixed, there is much discussion and if you get it on and is a nice fit good luck. But. I did not put a drill at all into my canopy and skirt,it’s all Sika Flexed, don’t counter sink the plexi is the answer from me. Good Luck

Thanks but it's too late. I already drilled the canopy to the frame. Maybe I'll sika the next one!

Since the temp rivets are flush, I'm still trying to figure out if I need to c-sink the plexi for the temporary rivets.... Or are we supposed to use different rivets for the temp rivets vs. the final rivets called out?

On my RV-7 I used some #4 C/S screws in a few places along the sides as temporary fasteners. I tapped the drilled holes on the canopy frame. It held the plexi to the steel frame while I futzed with the metal side skirts.

Not sure if this would work for the RV-8. I think I got the idea here on VAF.

Thanks but it's too late. I already drilled the canopy to the frame. Maybe I'll sika the next one!

Since the temp rivets are flush, I'm still trying to figure out if I need to c-sink the plexi for the temporary rivets.... Or are we supposed to use different rivets for the temp rivets vs. the final rivets called out?

I Sika my canopy but I drilled the plexiglass and the canopy frame together. I used the cleco to secure the plexiglass canopy to the frame while the Sika cures. I found this method is a sure way to ensure the plexiglass stays on at the same on the canopy frame the way I trimmed it. The only time I used the clamps was to hold the plexiglass to the frame while trimming.

Back