What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy restraint

szicree

Well Known Member
I didn't want to use a lanyard for my canopy restraint, but most of the builder designed versions didn't suit my tastes either. I came up with what I think is a very elegant solution. Feel free to use and improve upon it.

Last edited:
szicree said:
I didn't want to use a lanyard for my canopy restraint, but most of the builder designed versions didn't suit my tastes either. I came up with what I think is a very elegant solution. Feel free to use and improve upon it.

And that would be... :)

By the way, I used a gas shock strut on mine after having a kludged up lanyard for two years. Much nicer solution. But I'm always interested in a better mouse trap.

Canopy restraint

Hi Guys
I used 2 telescoping tubes with an internal stop. The hardware the joins the tubes to the roll bar and the center frame support is carburetor linkage ball studs with the end connectors. When the canopy is down the tube is telescoped behind the support.
Dayton

Canopy restraint pics.

I finally figured out how to put up the pics of my original (I thought) design for a canopy restraint.

Last edited:
Caution with Canopy Restraint

I own an RV-4 that the builder did a similar restraint to (except his was a cylinder). Unfortunately the canopy was damaged by the ferry pilot due to starting the engine with the canopy open. I have a feeling that that section is under reinforced (mine was double metal) in the center. In my case the support was so solid that it collapsed the middle support bracket. I suggest that you make sure yours will not do the same thing. (I have photos if you want to see) Best wishes Mr. Moisture

I own an RV-4 that the builder did a similar restraint to (except his was a cylinder). Unfortunately the canopy was damaged by the ferry pilot due to starting the engine with the canopy open. I have a feeling that that section is under reinforced (mine was double metal) in the center. In my case the support was so solid that it collapsed the middle support bracket. I suggest that you make sure yours will not do the same thing. (I have photos if you want to see) Best wishes Mr. Moisture
Mr. Moisture,
Please post your pictures. I'm torn between a 4 and an 8, and this is an area I'd like more info on in case it's a 4.

Back