What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cancelling part orders?

cheesewhale

I'm New Here
I'm pretty new here, but I'm in the process of completing an orphaned RV7A. A few months ago (before the bankruptcy) I ordered a cowl kit and air box from Vans, knowing it would take a few months to be completed.
Last week vans called me and informed me it is ready to ship, but the price for the order increased from $3500 to $5700. I asked to cancel my order since this isn't the price I had agreed to, and was initially told I couldn't cancel because the order was already in the warehouse. I've asked for clarification and I'm waiting for a response.
I want to support Vans and I don't feel good about cancelling, but for the same price I could order 2 James cowls and I am not in a place where I can drop that much money and keep building. I'm hoping someone here knows how the parts are handled under chapter 11.
Wyatt

As I understand it, there is a price increase resulting from the chapter 11 regulations. This means that Vans will sell the parts to you at a higher price and only if you agree. You can cancel the order if you want.
If you have payed a deposit, you will loose this unless you file a claim.
A claim may result in that you get some part of the deposit back.
Normally a claim must be sent in before a certain date.

Good luck

I'm pretty new here, but I'm in the process of completing an orphaned RV7A. A few months ago (before the bankruptcy) I ordered a cowl kit and air box from Vans, knowing it would take a few months to be completed.
Last week vans called me and informed me it is ready to ship, but the price for the order increased from $3500 to $5700. I asked to cancel my order since this isn't the price I had agreed to, and was initially told I couldn't cancel because the order was already in the warehouse. I've asked for clarification and I'm waiting for a response.
I want to support Vans and I don't feel good about cancelling, but for the same price I could order 2 James cowls and I am not in a place where I can drop that much money and keep building. I'm hoping someone here knows how the parts are handled under chapter 11.
Wyatt

Did you give Vans a deposit for the cowl? If not, I'd just order the Sam James.

Thanks for the responses. I have no deposit down, fortunately. My understanding is that I should be able to cancel on the grounds of the price increase and there being no contact for the order. Hopefully it's just an internal misunderstanding within Vans of how they proceed in these situations.

Thanks for the responses. I have no deposit down, fortunately. My understanding is that I should be able to cancel on the grounds of the price increase and there being no contact for the order. Hopefully it's just an internal misunderstanding within Vans of how they proceed in these situations.

Fortunately on your part, you had no money down. You should be able to cancel an order just like everyone else did, except you don't lose a deposit.

Do they have your credit card info?? If so, I would cancel the order and then call the card company to reject the transaction...

Well, Vans has made it clear that they do not honor price commitments made prior to BK and will cancel the commitment if you don't meet new terms, so I see no legal or moral obligation for you to do anything but the same regarding your commitment to purchase. No way in heck I would pay that, as it is not reasonable. As I have stated before, these price increases are crazy. Lots of folks have deposits in play, so really have no choice. For others WITH a choice, this is all bad for Vans. Who in there right mind would buy a cowl from Vans when competitive options are 1/2 the price? If you really want to see the full scope of the insanity of this, go look at the RV-10 seat price thread. It is so egregious that guys are out looking at ways to create alternate manufacturing of them. 3 months ago they were $6500; Now $17,000. I just fail to see how this approach helps Vans; All it really does is force folks to find ways to purchase from someone other than Vans.

Last edited:
If you really want to see the full scope of the insanity of this, go look at the RV-10 seat price thread. It is so egregious that guys are out looking at ways to create alternate manufacturing of them. 3 months ago they were $6500; Now $17,000. I just fail to see how this approach helps Vans; All it really does is force folks to find ways to purchase from someone other than Vans.

That is wild but I think the people who will be forced to pay those crazy seat prices will be those who order a finishing or interior kit and Vans decides to include those seats in the package. Since they won't accept modifications, that new buyer would be "stucked" (substitute for commonly used word in this scenario :mad:). No wonder you see so many people selling their partially built kits !!

Back