What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying just the windshield....

judoka5051

Well Known Member
Hey All,

Does anyone know where I can get just the windshield for a 7?

I'm in the process of building a 7A and I have the canopy and windshield, but the windshield has a lot of crazing. The canopy is fine (and mounted).

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Lance

I suggest calling Becky at Airplane Plastics.... They will ask you to ship them the old windscreen. Reason is original builders cut the windshield out in slightly different ways. They need to adjust the acrylic sheet in mold to make sure they give you one that fits. It basically custom, even though they are in a mold. Thee cut line around the periphery is different.

You can break the old one up, in half, 3rds so shipping is smaller. They tape it together and locate it in their mold. You get a good fit. Their replacement will have excess to trim. The reason for this, they had too many NOT fit due to variations by builders in how they cut the windshield out.

You can not buy this from Van's, only direct from Airplane Plastics. They have been making RV canopy's for a long time. They know what they are doing. You don't want to spend time and effort trying to fit a replacement that does not quite fit. Cheers...

PS I am curious how yours got crazed? Was this a flying RV or one you are building.

Last edited:
I got my off the shelf replacement windscreen from Airplane Plastics the same time Butch got his. I did three small cuts in two places to get it to fit my RV-6. Granted more work needed done to the airplane as I had the "optional" stretch formed windscreen 30 some years ago.

IMG_3276.jpg

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

The 7A project I bought didn't have a finish kit and I found a fellow on here who had most of the parts that I needed for a wrecked RV6A. The canopy came with the parts, and the slider is in good shape, but the windshield has a surprising amount of crazing. I wonder if chemical exposure caused it... Anyway, I'll be sending the pieces to Airplane plastics to
use unless I hear back from Ryan.

Back