What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake reservoirs on master cylinders

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I’m rebuilding the brake master cylinders and would like to get rid of the Vans plastic lines and the firewall mounted reservoir. I want to mount individual brake reservoirs onto the master cylinders. Have any of you that already did this use the silver ACS A-600 reservoirs or the black Grove 067-050 reservoir?

Tried and abandoned the ACS. Bulky, the lower hoses had to get around them so pedal access was limited or they rubbed.

John Siebold

I use the Grove reservoirs on my RV-10. Nice clean setup, I wouldn’t do it any other way.

I’m rebuilding the brake master cylinders and would like to get rid of the Vans plastic lines and the firewall mounted reservoir. I want to mount individual brake reservoirs onto the master cylinders. Have any of you that already did this use the silver ACS A-600 reservoirs or the black Grove 067-050 reservoir?

I have used the ACS reservoirs on my RV-8 with no problem at all. They have been in place for 9 years and would do it again. I use Mobile -1 ATF instead of 5606 and changed to Viton seals on the brakes.

I’ve been using the ACS reservoirs for twenty years - no issues, no problems on three different RV’s. teh ones on Louise’s RV-6 were probably there from the start….35 years? Just ordered a seat for the F1……

I’m using a clear reservoir and lines from TSFlightlines for 5 years. They work great.

This is what I have in my airplane. They are functionally the same without the plastic tube connections

I hate them, bleeding brakes becomes even messier than before and access stinks.

I have them in the Bucker and, fortunately, can access them as I have a removable metalized bottom, and they are still a pain.
I wouldn’t want them in my 6.

Sounds like folks love em or hate em…..

I hate them, bleeding brakes becomes even messier than before and access stinks.
I hate servicing the plastic tubing by crawling underneath the RV8 forward wheel well and this was the reason I replaced the tubing with the individual resevoirs. I don't even know how the big guys can do it inside such a small place. With these reservoirs, I can open up the forward compartment floor and have direct access to them. I use shop towel to catch the over flow.

I originally installed the ACS no real problems except if the pedals where adjusted all the way fwd at max R or L pedal deflection would cause it to graze the firewall. I put a spacer on to prevent that max adjust travel.

Upgraded to Grove master cylinders with built in reservoir a few years ago, like them much better. Either way, easy for me to service with the fwd baggage floor out. I put tubing connections on the top fill/vent hole and I connect a piece of tubing to it when I bleed to collect all excess.

Back