What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake fluid volume

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
On first fill, approximately how many cc’s of brake fluid are needed when bleeding brakes so I’ll know what size oil pumper to get?

I put this off for so long. I had nightmares the system would leak from every connection. I put paper and cardboard under the pedals and also under the calipers just in case. There was a tiny bit of leakage from the caliper bleeder past the threads, but not a lot.
I used one container of Royco 782 plus part of the second. I didn't want the pump to run dry and blow air in the system.
This pump gadget is awesome.
SMOTIVEPRO 2L Manual Brake... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095JYYQ2P?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I added a quick connect valve. A couple pieces of SafeAir white tubing. A quick connect coupler to 1/4"NPT then a 1/4"NPT to 1/4"barb. 5/16"OD small engine fuel line (yellow tube) connects from the barb to the bleeder. The barb is probably not needed. The yellow fuel line fits pretty tight over the SafeAir tubing.
David Howe's EZ-Fill is installed in the reservoir with the overflow bottle.

Here's the technique
-Connect the hose to the caliper bleeder.
-Pump the bleeder to 10-15psi.
-Open the valve first.
-Open the bleeder.
-Run over and watch the EZ-Fill and overflow bottle. You can see the overflow start running. Dribbles of fluid into the bottle also make noise.
-Once the overflow starts, close the bleeder.
-Close the valve.
-Repeat on the opposite side.
Now the fun begins.
-Climb in and pump the heck out of the masters. It works better to keep the bleeder pump on one side.
-Repeat the steps.
-Move the pump to the other side
-Repeat the steps. Pump, bleed, etc.
I had to climb in at least half a dozen times each side. Two people would have been easier.
20240409_131241.jpg
20240410_134117.jpg
20240410_134111.jpg

First off, I used the Matco clear brake fluid reservoir. Also, I used the intake of the air compressor to put a vacuum on the can of brake fluid so there would be little entrapped air in the brake fluid.
During preflight, I can see the level of the brake fluid go down as the pads wear; Over the last few months, the level has dropped a lot. I know I am getting close to new ones, So I plan to change this week.
(Picture incoming)

Attachments

• IMG_4738.jpeg
    IMG_4738.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
I built a -8 with Matco brakes. Followed the Matco bleeding procedure. Used a 250 ml trigger type oil squirt can and a short section of hose at the caliper. Opened the bleeder and pumped the can until bubbles stopped coming out of the master cylinder. Closed the bleeder and checked to see if the pedal was firm as per Matco. I didn’t obsess over small bubbles trapped in the clear reservoir line. Filled the can and repeated On the other brake. Topped off the reservoir with the squirt can. Used roughly 500 ml. Brakes functioned normally until brakes pads replaced at minimum thickness. No fluid added or spilled.

Last edited:
I built a -8 with Matco brakes. Followed the Matco bleeding procedure. Used a 250 ml trigger type oil squirt can and a short section of hose at the caliper. Opened the bleeder and pumped the can until bubbles stopped coming out of the master cylinder. Closed the bleeder and checked to see if the pedal was firm as per Matco. Filled the can and repeated On the other brake. Topped off the reservoir with the squirt can. Used roughly 500 ml. Brakes functioned normally until brakes pads replaced at minimum thickness. No fluid added or spilled.
This is what I did also. I modified the hose attached to the oiler with a threaded fitting for a female zerk “grease gun” that snaps onto the caliper zerk. I also took a piece of hose and fitted it with a fitting that threads into the reservoir. This allows me to pump the fluid in until it overflows into a catch can. You then have to take some fluid off as you only want the reservoir to be about 3/4 full or the brake fluid will expand and overflow out the breather.
All cheap auto parts store stuff.

Larry, does that thing double as a bong? After all, you are in Colorado! LOL

Thanks for the replies.
Probably, but not for me. I hold a Class A CDL with all the endorsements and a PPSEL. Uncle Sam loves to test me.

Back