What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best solution for easy starting?

sam_c

I'm New Here
Hi,
The thing I hate the most about the fuel-injected C-182s that I typically rent is starting the engine. I just want my engine to start as easily and reliably as a car, and I'm willing to pay for it - what should I get? It would also be nice to not have to manually set the mixture, because it's 2023 for christ's sake, but my main priority is the starts.

The specific questions that I have:
1. Will going full FADEC (FlyEFII / SDS) give me the push button start I dream of?
2. Is there something cheaper I should consider?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm looking to buy an RV-7/7A and part of my hope is that it be easy to start, that's why I'm asking here.

I might catch a little heat for this. But, easy starting on FI Lycoming/Continentals is something that gets learned. And its not 100% every time. But, you can learn to do it 98% of the time.

One trick that works for me on restarting warm FI engines is before beginning the prestart checklist, to slowly push the throttle and mixture full-in and leave it till I go through the checklist, then set them as called for. I'm not gonna try and explain why I think this works. I'm sure someone would tell me how they know for scientific certainty its BS. But someone showed this to me a few years ago, and it does seem to help.

You still have to use the warm start procedures called for in the POH. That's usually something like throttle full in, mixture idle cut-off, fuel pump on for 3 seconds then off, then crank. Then, when it catches, advance the mixture full in and quickly retard the throttle. It seems like it takes 3 hands to do it. But, with practice it becomes pretty easy. If I remember right, this was the warm-start procedures specified for Continental IO-470s with the Bendix FI I that flew behind for a few years. And, it worked quite well.

Last edited:
Hi,
The thing I hate the most about the fuel-injected C-182s that I typically rent is starting the engine. I just want my engine to start as easily and reliably as a car, and I'm willing to pay for it - what should I get? It would also be nice to not have to manually set the mixture, because it's 2023 for christ's sake, but my main priority is the starts.

The specific questions that I have:
1. Will going full FADEC (FlyEFII / SDS) give me the push button start I dream of?
2. Is there something cheaper I should consider?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm looking to buy an RV-7/7A and part of my hope is that it be easy to start, that's why I'm asking here.

EFII/SDS is the ticket for easy “car like” starts and operations. Vapor lock and hot starts are a thing of the past and automatic timing advance/retard based on manifold pressure is a standard feature. You’ll also be able to run car gas…with or without ethanol without a problem. Once you’ve experienced one of these systems, you’ll never go back to an old school setup.

Last edited:
Bendix hot starts require a technique, but once learned the drama of a hot start vanishes. I have experience with SDS EFI and there is zero skill required to start. Hot, cold, warm... It just starts every time with a single push of a button.

System Complexity

Electronic systems usually work well as long as they have power.
A lose cable can ruin your day.
My theory is that more cables introduce more risk.
That said I have gone for two separate Sure fly electronic ignition modules.
They are powered from different batteries and I have two alternators.
I still have the old RSA-5AD1 fuel injection and one mechanical and one electric fuel pump. Engine starts hot or cold. It works well.

Good luck

Bendix hot starts require a technique, but once learned the drama of a hot start vanishes.

Absolutely.^^

It also requires an understanding of what’s going on with the air/fuel mixture. We don’t all need to understand stoichiometric, but a basic understanding that what is needed is 15 times more air than fuel would go a looong way.

It sounds like the OP is a perfect candidate for the SDS system.

Thanks for the replies!

I guess another specific question I could ask is, does replacing the magnetos with emags/pmags/etc make any difference when it comes to starts?

I guess another specific question I could ask is, does replacing the magnetos with emags/pmags/etc make any difference when it comes to starts?

Anything that gives a good hot spark will help.

Magnetos at slow RPM give an anaemic spark even with an impulse coupler. If they're a bit worn out they might have trouble giving any spark at all.

An electronic ignition that isn't reliant on crankshaft speed for its energy source ought to give the same strong hot spark no matter how fast it's turning, yielding much more reliable starts.

- mark

Anything that gives a good hot spark will help.

Magnetos at slow RPM give an anaemic spark even with an impulse coupler. If they're a bit worn out they might have trouble giving any spark at all.

An electronic ignition that isn't reliant on crankshaft speed for its energy source ought to give the same strong hot spark no matter how fast it's turning, yielding much more reliable starts.

- mark

Bendix Shower of Sparks? (which I flew behind for decades)
Slick Start?

There are options for the OP from dumb/ancient to new/smart modern and everything in between.

Thanks for the replies!

I will say, YES! My dual PMag setup starts very quickly - usually before one revolution is completed. Had to retime mine today because my CHTs were running high. Retiming took less than two minutes once I got the plugs out. I highly recommend you consider changing to PMags. Never had this engine run this smoothly.

How We Fixed It

O-320 on an RV-6. It was getting hard to start in spite of recent 500 hour inspections on both mags and normal mag drops. I replaced the right magneto with a Lightspeed Plasma III and all those starting problems disappeared. Installing one of the monster spark electronic ignition systems will make starting easier on any engine, including fuel injected ones.

The Way We Fixed It

O-320 on an RV-6. Replaced our right Slick with a Lightspeed Plasma III and all the starting problems disappeared. Any of the monster spark electronic systems make starting, and especially hot starting on an injected engine easier. The Lightspeed is my wife’s favorite mod on this airplane.

Back