What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best RV 4 Battery

GHARBEN

I have asked this before but with my latest dead battery, I am ready to move on moving and replacing the battery. What is the best battery for the RV 4? I will put it on the firewall or in the luggage area.
Thanks
N12HR
O 320

I'm using a Duracell AGM-16L.

Duracell Ultra 16CL-B 12V 325CCA AGM Powersport Battery

I have asked this before but with my latest dead battery, I am ready to move on moving and replacing the battery. What is the best battery for the RV 4? I will put it on the firewall or in the luggage area.
Thanks
N12HR
O 320

Best RV-4 battery

Is this for new/current construction or modifying an existing airframe? Sounds like an airplane you have been flying already. Is there some running connection that causes your batter to drain to zero? Hmmmmmm...

I still like the Concord RG-25. I just bought a replacement for the one that is still keeping a charge but the new one might be more reliable. I will take the old one and have it load-tested. Are there now lighter and better batteries available? Yes. See below....

FIREWALL! I would recommend not putting it in the baggage for several reasons: 1) the -4 is pretty aft weight-sensitive and the more weight you can have up front, the better. That will compensate for the weight of your rear-seat passengers and the baggage that goes with you on your many cross-country flights. Baggage placement will also take away valuable room back there as well. 2) the weight of the cable you will have to string back to the baggage compartment should not be ignored. Not to mention you will have a major electric cable running the length of your passenger compartment. I know some other models have it back there but if you don't have to have it back there....

The original plans recommends firewall placement. Mine is under the center console, as far forward as surrounding structures allow. Photo is from several decades ago.....:)

IMHO; YMMV....

Attachments

• img704ac.jpg
    img704ac.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Battery

If you have some extra cash get an EarthX battery. Much more powerful and light than most anything on the market. And it’s so light you can easily put it in the baggage compartment.

Thanks
N12HR
O 320

You have gone through two batteries in less than four years. Your problem is not the location, and it's not the battery.

You have an electrical issue that needs to be corrected... Hard starting and not flying long enough for the battery
to recover, is one example. Leaving a charger/maintainer attached full time. A small draw from something in the panel.

Check your charging system. Check your master and starter solenoid for resistance.

A PC-680 is a maintenance free battery, and only needs charging if the battery drops to 12.6v. tested at the battery.
And then use a charger of less than 100ma.

My current PC-680 is over 10 years old. Has never been removed from A/C. And charged only with this....
charger.JPG

It would be nice to have better access to your battery. Maybe a lower panel upgrade.:)

I'm building an RV-3B rather than a -4, but the cowl is similar. At the suggestion of a visiting RV-4 pilot, I decided to install my EarthX 680C battery in the right-hand cowl cheek extension.

Battery Latch Rev A S.jpg

It's snug but does fit, at least on the RV-3B.

The photo does not show the hatch, but you can see the top piano hinge and the location of the bottom one, as well as where the hatch overlaps the extension.

I put the ground forest of tabs on the inside skin just aft of the battery, so the link between them is quite short. You can see the pass-through brass fastener left of the battery.

Dave

I use a Full River HC20 which is a clone of the PC680, cheaper and identical. Location in the usual place fwd of the centre consul radio stack. Never had an issue.

--- snip ---

I still like the Concord RG-25.

--- snip ---

IMHO; YMMV....

IF you need the weight, the AGM-1234T is the same battery at 1/2 the price. The battery posts are reversed on the AGM-1234T and the cable bolts are smaller.

IF I were to go to a lighter battery aft of the firewall on my RV-6, I would lose baggage capacity and have the empty CG move AFT.

I am on my 3rd or 4th one.

Last edited:
I use the Duracell DURDC12-35J. Fits the per plans battery location. I have a 160hp O320, and this battery is a deep cycle AGM made for mobility devices. Holds charge forever, and I get 6 plus years from them, only changing for preventative measures. Batteries Plus, and don't tell them it's a flying RV..

It never ceases to amaze me how fantastic this group of aircraft craftsmen are! I greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts and information.
I will post my decision.
PS
Anyone ever use a Earth X PC 900 ?

Dang, that is genious!

I'm building an RV-3B rather than a -4, but the cowl is similar. At the suggestion of a visiting RV-4 pilot, I decided to install my EarthX 680C battery in the right-hand cowl cheek extension.

View attachment 48853

It's snug but does fit, at least on the RV-3B.

The photo does not show the hatch, but you can see the top piano hinge and the location of the bottom one, as well as where the hatch overlaps the extension.

I put the ground forest of tabs on the inside skin just aft of the battery, so the link between them is quite short. You can see the pass-through brass fastener left of the battery.

Dave

I also have an EarthX ETX680 and I am happy with it.
I first had the previous version (no automatic circuit to disconnect) and before usage it ruined.
Then I wrote to EarthX and they told me the new ETX680 has been engineered, with increased safety.
I have it on the firewalls side and connected the alert cable to the Skyview, just in case.
I flew a few more than 20 hours in 3 years. Not too much to proof a long lasting life.

I have a ETX680C mounted on my firewall and it works great.
This allows for a forward baggage compartment in the former battery bay. The cover is secured with 8 winged camloc fasteners. I carry small heavy items like tie down kit, tool bag etc. which helps with the CG.

Back