What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Engine Monitor?

Koven

I'm New Here
I was wondering what some of you thought was the best engine monitor on the market for a reasonable price. I was looking at the AFS Engine Monitor and the Dynon System but am open to other options.

GRT ECAM.

If you are going with Glass, using GRT's gives you redundancy, as all displays can be used as either PFD, Map, or Engine Monitor. If set up correctly it faciltates flying from either seat. Good for those who can't fly with their left hand.

By the way, Engine Monitor is misnomer for most of the displays now, as they can provide a lot more than just Engine Information. Fuel level, Trim position, Flap Position, or any Aux you can to wire up.

Boeing EICAS (Engine Indicating AND Crew Alerting System) or Airbus ECAM (Electonic Centralised Aircraft Monitoring) are more appropriate.

Pete.

Last edited:
If you are going with Glass, using Dynon's gives you redundancy, as all displays can be used as either PFD, HSI, or Engine Monitor. If set up correctly it facilitates flying from either seat. Good for those who can't fly with their left hand.

Sorry, I had to copy that...

I am waiting for the FAA to do my inspection but have done a number of ground runs with my Dynon EMS D10 way over on the right side and that thing is just outstanding!

As soon as the engine is up and running I turn on my EFIS and display the engine info on 1/3 the screen.

Check this picture out to get an idea:

There are more pictures showing displays on the panel page of my web site.

Good luck making your selection. All the units listed are very good and you won't go wrong with any of them. What helped me was creating a spreadsheet listing all the various functions, price, etc. and then picking the one unit that best fit my needs. That helped take some of the emotion out of it.

Great.

fodrv7 said:
If you are going with Glass, using GRT's gives you redundancy,.
Thanks Bill.
I would have said that if I was aware of it. But, only know GRT.
And there are proably more out there that do it too.

The great thing is that it means more options.

DR. has really given us a great tool for improving our RVs.

Pete.

On 7/11 you posted:
Koven said:
I am building a rv9a and I was wondering what EFIS system would be best to use for IFR purposes that also doesn't cost a fortune!
On 7/12 you posted:
Koven said:
I am looking for good avionics to put into my rv9a and I was looking at the Chelton dual screen EFIS. I was looking for people who know more than me and could tell me some of the pros and cons of the system! I have also looked at the Blue Mountain Avionis EFIS/ONE and the Avidyne Envision system so if anyone has any information about these systems in would be greatly appreciated!
On 7/17 you posted:
Koven said:
I am really starting to lean toward the Chelton Flight System but haven't completely set my heart on it. I still don't know if it is the right system for me. I was hoping for some information on the pros and cons of the system from owners of the system. Thanks.
Yesterday you posted:
Koven said:
I was wondering what some of you thought was the best engine monitor on the market for a reasonable price. I was looking at the AFS Engine Monitor and the Dynon System but am open to other options.
The products you are asking about cover the full spectrum of features, options and costs. Your questions are really open-ended and unclear about what you're looking for. There is a ton of information online in this forum and elsewhere. You will find answers to all of your questions with a little digging.

I apologize if I'm wrong, but I'm also rather curious about why your profile information changed from Brent Impecoven of Sioux Falls, SD, to Bob Jones of Iowa since you first posted a couple of weeks ago.

MVP-50

Love my E.I MVP-50 and most of all love dealing with E.I, great people to deal with!

Adam Silverstein

Back