What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

avionics wiring diagrams

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
I have been studying the various installation manuals for my panel setup and am somewhat confused in all the required connections between the SL30, GTX 327, 496 and Dynon D100/120. I am slowly building a netlist but thought I would see if someone has already completed this setup and has it posted on a web site somewhere. Most of it I think I understand but the SL30 in particular has a lot of connections that I am not sure I need with the Dynon and no separate CDI.

As always appreciate any help

Dave

I'm in the process of wiring my components. I have a D-100, EMS D-10, GTX
327, 396, SL-30. I'm assuming that you don NOT plan to have an EMS?
Basically, you will need to run the RS232 output from the D-100 to the GTX 327. You will NOT need a blind encoder since the 327 can take info regarding altitude directly from the D-100.
You will need to run a single connection from the GPS AND the SL-30 to the D-100. You will, however, have to run these connections into a SPDT switch first and then the switch output to the D-100. This will allow you to switch between the GPS and the SL-30 for input to the D-100.
You may have already done this but you can download the installation for the D-100 from the Dynon site.
Hope this helps.

Oops! Didn't see you were getting a D-120.
This complicates things a little.
There are two ways you can do this. You can run the SL-30 directly into the D-100 and the GPS directly into the D-120 but my understanding is that you will NOT be able to see the HSI from the GPS on the D-100 even if you have the DSAB's and the serial ports of the D-100 and D-120 connected.
The other option is to run the GPS and SL-30 into a SPDT switch and then to the D-120 (nothing to the D-100). The D-100 will get the info from the D-120.
I know this is a little confusing. I'm still chatting with Dynon about this.

Dynon D100 to Garmin-need specific pins on Garmin outputs

Finishing my D100 install and need specific pins for Stein's D100 harness hookup to the SL30 and 327. Dynon tech support would not give them for unknown reasons. Anyone able to help?

GTX 327 pin for encoder=:confused:

SL30 in out for HSI/VOR/ILS output=

Thanks!

Vern, both of those are serial connections (eg. 327's "encoder" pin is via a serial in.. so I think it's pin 2 or 19)... likewise for SL30.. just look for serial in or out, depending which direction the signal goes..

install manuals have these listed.... Kahuna has the "how to download garmin manuals" on his site.

We did post the connections on our forum Vern. It just takes us a while to get to it sometimes.

Most of this is in our install manuals though, which you can get on our web site for free. It does actually fully cover your exact install situation.

Basic wiring is:

One wire from EFIS to 327 for altitude encoder
One wire from 496 to EFIS for GPS data
One wire from SL-30 to EMS for NAV data

Our next software update, due in a few days, makes all EMS - EFIS data bi-directional so you can hook the 496 and SL-30 to either the EMS or EFIS. It makes it a lot easier to decide, since you can wire it up any way you want and it will act the same.

Back