What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Automotive boost pump

DonPro

Has anyone used an automotive high pressure boost pump on an IO-360A1A 200hp or similar engine? I found one that supplies 43psi @ 40gph for $92. An MSD unit. I am wondering if there are problems like needing a bypass with a check valve when the pump is off or not and if a regulator is needed.

Thanks,
Don

Most automotive pumps have integral pumps and motors, therefore fuel cools the pump. In most automotive EFI applications, the fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail where the excess fuel is returned to the tank. There?s always fuel flowing through the pump when it?s on.

So to use an automotive pump you would have to determine if:
1) You could run the pump deadheaded and not exceed the required 20 to 40 PSI required for your fuel injection system.
2) Running the pump dead headed would not cause the pump motor to over heat and burn up.
a. If it wouldn?t then you would have to install a bypassing type relief valve to set the pump pressure and allow fuel to circulate through the pump when it was on.
3) When the pump was off there was no restriction to the flow to the engine driven pump.
a. This could be resolved two ways. Install a bypass check valve (swing check valve) around the pump or plumb the pump in parallel with the engine driven pump.

Hope this helps

Don

Thanks Don. After doing the research I figured out I would not save much and would not have as clean of an installation as using your system from Van's. Thanks for putting it together.

Don

Back