What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP DISCONNECT BUTTON

Aquaman!

I have recently installed Dynon AP servos on my RV-8 and will be controlling them with my D-10A temporarily while building Skyview panel on the bench. Can anyone recommend a source for an AP disconnect button? I only have trim and PTT on control stick. I am considering a throttle mounted GA button but simply need a normally -open pushbutton switch to ground.

Carl beat me to it! This will do the job: (and same/similar are widely available from any electronics store)

Carl beat me to it! This will do the job: (and same/similar are widely available from any electronics store)

Yep 2 for that push button Between the throttle and prop.

I have a disconnect on my Infinity grip, but as an alternative, you can just hit a blip of pitch or roll trim and the AP should disconnect. A red collar on the CB is my backup for these two switches. Just a thought...

I have recently installed Dynon AP servos on my RV-8 and will be controlling them with my D-10A temporarily while building Skyview panel on the bench. Can anyone recommend a source for an AP disconnect button? I only have trim and PTT on control stick. I am considering a throttle mounted GA button but simply need a normally -open pushbutton switch to ground.
Since you are thinking of upgrading your throttle handle there is a nice one one from 3D Stick & Rudder that would would work. I have this exact throttle handle in my RV-8 but use the TOGA button as a PTT instead, Paul can label it however you want. I am going to change this throttle handle to a different one so mine will be available if you are interested.

You can see a lot of good options on his website below:

IMG_1142.jpeg

Thanks for all the great replies! I just completed all my ground tests and setup on the D10A. Waiting on good VFR WX for a test flight!

Since you are thinking of upgrading your throttle handle there is a nice one one from 3D Stick & Rudder that would would work. I have this exact throttle handle in my RV-8 but use the TOGA button as a PTT instead, Paul can label it however you want. I am going to change this throttle handle to a different one so mine will be available if you are interested.

You can see a lot of good options on his website below:

View attachment 55621
I do appreciate the pics... I would be be interested in this grip if it fits my throttle lever.

I do appreciate the pics... I would be be interested in this grip if it fits my throttle lever.
If you have the Vans standard throttle handle it will fit. That’s what I have & it’s a good fit and easy install

Last edited:
Food for thought… 3D Stick & Rudder makes a throttle grip that can incorporate TWO switches. Ergonomically, IMO, it makes sense to have flaps UP/DOWN and TOGA switches on the throttle grip. As you initiate a go-around, click TOGA button (finger) and raise flaps (thumb) as throttle is advanced. Keep in mind that the Dynon AP disconnect button doubles as a CWS button. Since you have to hold the button down for CWS, it makes sense for this to be on the stick. Just my 2¢ worth.

Food for thought… 3D Stick & Rudder makes a throttle grip that can incorporate TWO switches. Ergonomically, IMO, it makes sense to have flaps UP/DOWN and TOGA switches on the throttle grip. As you initiate a go-around, click TOGA button (finger) and raise flaps (thumb) as throttle is advanced. Keep in mind that the Dynon AP disconnect button doubles as a CWS button. Since you have to hold the button down for CWS, it makes sense for this to be on the stick. Just my 2¢ worth.
What does the TOGA button do on an RV?

What does the TOGA button do on an RV?
It depends… If you don’t have a flight director (FD), then a TOGA button does nothing. If you have a FD, pressing the TOGA button will sequence the flight plan to the missed approach procedure and the FD will provide guidance (vertical and lateral) for the pilot and/or autopilot to follow accordingly.

What does the TOGA button do on an RV
It depends on which flight director you have, which is why you'll get conflicting answers. Some of them like the G1000 systems in Cessnas before about 2021 disconnected the autopilot and the command bars just commanded a wings level pitch up. Some of them sequence it to the missed approach segment. If you don't have an approach loaded or are hand flying, they will still just command a wings level pitch up.

Sequencing to the miss makes sense. I wish they all worked that way.

Back