What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any North Texas "A" model builders want to do the nosewheel bearing Mod?

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I'm not selling a service of any kind, just looking to help out my fellow RV'rs.

I am equipped to perform the nose wheel bearing mod for the RV-*A. If you are interested in doing the modification for your own aircraft, I can tell you what bearings to order, then bring your bearings and wheel over to my house. We can do the machine work on your wheel together.

The only tool I am missing right now is an arbor or hydraulic press. If there are a number of builders interested, we can just make a party of it. Maybe one of the builders will have a press we can borrow for the day. When I did the mod to my wheel I took it to a local shop with a press, but that isn't an ideal solution.

If you happen to help inspect my project while you are here, I won't complain...haha

I am located on the east side of Plano near Parker & Spring Creek
E-mail or PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Colin,
I might be interested. What about the main wheel mods? Can you do those too?

Great Idea!...

Colin,
Not to take away from the R&D that Allan has done, but I can't justify shipping my wheel across the country to either of you fine fellows.......see, I'm in EXTREMELY north Texas! :D

any Canadians done this bearing mod? Same story, get a few guys together, setup a lathe and order a batch of bearings.

anyone??????

Colin,
I might be interested. What about the main wheel mods? Can you do those too?

I haven't done a mod to the main wheel for my own aircraft. Even the deep-groove ball bearings don't have anywhere near the axial load capacity of the taper bearings. For the nose wheel I think this is fine since the load is mainly radial. If you are crossed up at bit at touchdown, those bearings could see a very high axial load. However, the gear may fail before the bearings do. I opted to leave mine alone for now, but may consider the mod in the future.

That said, if you want to be a test mule, I'm happy to help. I haven't researched that application very much, but at first glance, it looks like the same bearing as the front may be the best bet, but the spacer for the inner race would have to be made differently.

Just to be clear, I have never seen one of Allen's modified wheels. I have no idea if he uses the same bearing or something completely different. This is what I came up with to modify my own wheel and decided to share with other local builders willing to come over and do the work with me.

The job is actually pretty easy, machine the wheel for the larger bearing (to precise specs for an ISO N7 interference fit, make a spacer to go between the inner bearing races, modify your existing mushroom spacers. The tolerances for the bore are pretty tight, that is where the real work is. Otherwise pretty simple.

Last edited:
Im a bit surprised, I expected there would be some interest in this offer, even hoped to make it a mini social event, but it seems no one wants to change their bearings out. Ohh well.

Sent an email

Colin,

At least a week ago I sent you an email, using the VAF "send an email" feature. If you didn't get an email from me, maybe something is failing in the email system.

I am interested in learning more about the bearing mod. and possibly participating.

Thank you for your proposal to assist us "A" owners.

Carl

Colin,

At least a week ago I sent you an email, using the VAF "send an email" feature. If you didn't get an email from me, maybe something is failing in the email system.

I am interested in learning more about the bearing mod. and possibly participating.

Thank you for your proposal to assist us "A" owners.

Carl

Thanks for the heads up, I checked my regular and spam inbox, no dice. Can you try resending.

Back