What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antisplat has a HORIZONTAL STABILIZER BRACKET MOD.

riobison

Well Known Member
I see that Antisplat has a HORIZONTAL STABILIZER BRACKET MOD.

This appears to be addressing another possible problem. Have we seen many cracks here that makes this a worthwhile mod?

Thanks

Tim

Vans put out a fix for the Horizontal Stab. SB 14-01-31. This applies to the RV 6,7,and 8. I don't see it under the RV9, not sue why.

I bought a pair of those for my -9A. They weren't expensive and my rational was bracing to support the horizontal stab and prevent failure. Seemed logical to me and my A&P shrugged and agreed. I didn't install them after reading what I remember to be a rather scathing indictment of those braces in a thread here on VAF. IIRC, the gist was related to installing "gonzo engineering" without "appropriate stress analysis" and engineering endorsement from Van's. The thread is somewhere in these forums. I took those opinions with a grain of salt, but never did install them. I'm sure they're sitting around in my hangar somewhere. I might go ahead and put them on someday after I pull the fairing for a CI. Or not.

Last edited:
I won’t swear to it but I think the they are for older RV’s that don’t have the updated HS doubler.

Perhaps a builder of an older RV can confirm.

Edit update, out of curiosity I looked at the install video and didn’t see a doubler.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Vans put out a fix for the Horizontal Stab. SB 14-01-31. This applies to the RV 6,7,and 8. I don't see it under the RV9, not sue why.

Mine is a 9 and is probably why I didn't see see the SB.

My guess is that there is a difference between the 9s and the others that are under the SB

Tim

6, 7, & 8 has the tapered HS with the two part forward spar. ( and the SB)
The 9 & -14 has the straight HS with the single piece spar.

Mine is a 9 and is probably why I didn't see see the SB.

My guess is that there is a difference between the 9s and the others that are under the SB

Tim

Back