What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AntiSplat Aero Oil Separator and Crankcase Vacuum System

I just flew a test flight after installing my new AntiSplat Aero Oil Separator and Crankcase Vacuum System. It appears that it is a big success. Although my initial flight was only a .6, I am pleased to report that there was not a drop of oil on the accessory case nor the bottom of the case where I normally see some seepage and accumulation after a flight. The engine appears to be totally dry....yes, the dipstick still shows 7 quarts, so it's not out of oil! I know....kind of unusual for a Lycoming, right? After a longer flight, I will see if there is any affect on power or fuel flow. Regardless, the system does what it's suppose to do and appears to be keeping my engine and ultimately the bottom of my RV-8 spotless.

Roy Myers
Aerobaticjunkie
RV-8 (Jolene)
N215SM

+1 for this system on my RV6. Not a drop of oil after 120 hours - just exhaust soot that has to be cleaned off - about every couple of months for me. It’s not as easy to see until you start cleaning it off.

1500 hours on mine, and loving it. Make sure you clean the interior of the check valve regularly though - the oil will coke up in there and choke it off, causing a rise in crankcase pressure, possible enough to blow the front mail seal on the crankshaft.

I clean that check valve every oil change, only take a couple minutes.

Just returned from a trip to Clearwater. Put 2.5 on the RV8 round trip. When I checked the belly and back of the engine at home, there wasn't a drop of oil. I'm sold on the system. Thanks for tips on cleaning. They present that same requirement in the installation literature. I figure I'll clean the valve well at every oil change. "Soot" will be checked and cleaned after every flight, as per usual.

Question.

Are you talking about cleaning the actual check valve or the exhaust saddle mount exit into the exhaust pipe?
I have this same system on my RV6 with over 300 hours on it and very happy with the results.

1500 hours on mine, and loving it. Make sure you clean the interior of the check valve regularly though - the oil will coke up in there and choke it off, causing a rise in crankcase pressure, possible enough to blow the front mail seal on the crankshaft.

I clean that check valve every oil change, only take a couple minutes.

Clean the tube. Photo below is what one looks like when almost completely blocked...which is why you also want a second valve as a safety.

Rate of buildup varies a lot, so monitor closely for a few hundred hours to see what your install does.

Attachments

• Almost Blocked 2019 09 15.jpg
    Almost Blocked 2019 09 15.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 81
Back