What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

An RV 6

I apologize for the title to anyone else just starting an RV 6 project now or in the future. But hopefully it brings us together in discussion because we will probably both need some help!

I recently purchased an unbuilt early RV 6 kit. And by early I mean no pre-punched skins. It has been a bit harder to come by information than I thought for these "older" kits. It truly feels like I am the last one starting an RV 6 kit. I am getting the workshop set up and hope to find some advise and tips from some 6 builders on here as I proceed.

I am not walking into this totally blind as I have quite a bit of airframe experience on certificated aircraft. But this is my first RV and first Experimental experience.

I am lucky to live on an "airport" with a dirt strip that I hope will work out ok with the aircraft when it becomes more than a dream. What I don't have is a hangar at the moment. I have set up a 40' high cube shipping container to get started as both storage and a workshop to start construction.

The empennage kit has already been completed however I do believe I will end up building a new one for a few reasons if I can get my hands on another or possibly build a larger tail as the later kits had.

I plan to start on the wings. I have been prepping the ribs in the little amount of free time I have at the moment and things are going well so far. My work is seasonal in the Spring and Fall so I plan to go full in on the wings as we get into winter.

Hope to be posting progress more in the next few months and hopefully can get in touch with some RV 6 builders/ owners in the future. I am located in Elizabeth Colorado

More to follow!

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 137
Oh, I don't think you will be the last RV-6 build! Still lots of unfinished kits around. I'm working on one, painting now and final assembly soon. 3rd owner of this kit, and surprised all the parts were still there! Non-prepunched kit and I very much enjoyed the layout and drilling/assembly. Although it's a lot of work, I enjoy my time in the shop and consider myself more of a builder than flyer.

Reach out if I can be of any help. Van's still has decent tech support for the -6. I've had a couple of questions and they have been answered quickly.

I helped my Dad build our -6 as a young man. Now flying and maintaining our -6 while I am building a -8. There should be plenty of -6 builder experience and expertise within this forum. I will say that if you build the -6 Emp (if you can acquire a unbuilt Emp kit), this will lay the groundwork for methods and skills required to complete the remainder of the airframe. You will have to build good jigs, but the "vertical" build jigs necessary to build the -6 emp and wings should fit and work well with your sea can building space. Paint the inside of the can white and install good LED lighting. Enjoy the process.

Yay! Another 6 in the making!

Pretty sure you aren't the last 6 in the pipeline, although they do seem to come out at a slower rate these days. There's several of us on VAF that built ours and are available to ask the inevitable "how did you do this?" kinds of questions. And if you are lucky, somebody might actually remember all the details on how it was done. ;)

Just so you know, "pre-punched" back in the -6/6A day consisted of pre-punched pilot holes in the skins.....and that was it. No "final sized, match hole pre-punched, just cleco together and rivet" kinds of things. (OK, I did actually get pre-punched wing skins and a pre-punched firewall. Everything else started with laying out lines on the material.....and went from there.)

As for your current build facility...it will work just fine until big pieces (wings, fuse, empenage) start going together.

Good luck with the build!

Not the last

Congratulations on pursuing your dream ,,, and you’ve got clean slate to start with , one suggestion if you think your rebuilding the Empennage,,, find yourself a abandon RV 7 tail kit and incorporate all the service bulletin parts and pieces into that build ,, there’s several that are easy to do while building on the six and seven empennages enjoy !

Old school RV-6

I for one will say to use only kiln dried lumber or cabinet grade plywood for your fuselage jig.
I bolted mine to the floor, walls, and ceiling. Made it out of 4x4 verticals and I don't remember the rest.
That was back in 1991 so a bit foggy on the details.
Hey If I get up to the hangar I've got photos of the rest.
Your luck may vary Fixit

That’s great! I don’t think Vans even knows how many complete 6 kits were sold, and I’ll hazard a guess, there’s more than a couple of kits still to be completed out there. Just a guess.

A few things about shipping containers.

They seal up very well. If it goes in dry, it stays dry. If it goes in wet, same.
It’s a “sealed” environment. Most have some vents installed but they are not very effective. You can add in ventilation, but it’s expensive.

Even with doors open, they are smoking hot when the sun is on them and it’s warm outside. You can insulate them to help.

They are 8’ wide outside. Not a lot of width inside.

With insulation, heating and cooling, windows, lights and plugs it would make a nice workshop. However, the limited width would make it tough to build a wing? Might still be doable. I think you could manage most everything else pretty easily.

A raw shipping container isn’t a very good build environment but can be good storage.

Good luck with your build and there is a world of people here that know the 6 well.

Rechargeable headlamp

I’ve got two of these, one always on charge. Work excellent and light is always where you’re looking.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PF5VCMH?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Also have several of these. The magnetic base is great for mounting to the drill press, bench sander etc. when needed. One has also gone over 1000km while left under my F250 after changing an exhaust sensor! Was still bright when I finally found it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-l...dheld-foldable-slim-bar-work-light-59536.html

My RV-6 kit was one of the first batch out of Van back in 1986. S/N 38. (20038). I know how you fell. Feel free to reach out to me with any question (or just post here on this great forum). My original plans were blueprints!

Congrats Ash!
I haven’t built my -6.9i, but a -4, pretty similar methinks.
The advantage you’ll have is proper tooling (the DRDT, pneumatic squeezer, etc we not for sale (or outta reach for me) when I built), and hopefully reliable plans.
Plus some formidable resource, as here :)

If you wanna build a new tail, I’d suggest getting the -8 tail, counterbalanced, prepunched, and great looking (sure some will disagree here, but who cares :D). Yes, it weighs more, but easily offset by a proper engine (O-360+) and a CSP.

Good build :cool:

Welcome!

Welcome! Count me in as an old-school "drilled my own holes and liked it" type. I for one will be looking forward to your questions as you progress with your build.

I built a 1995 vintage RV-6 back in the time. No prepunched anything and had to cut lots of things to final size. Building the wing spar was considered a challenge, but with the right tools went well. The landing gear was typically match drilled to the weldments, but not interchangeable from one airplane to another.

The kit was made to be something you complete with hand tools, but I had a sheer and brake available, which was helpful. You don’t have to have them, but really makes some work easier.

I did get through with the prints and plans of the day. My only call to Vans was for a replacement part for something I messed up.

I remember thinking how detailed the instructions were for the empennage, but when I got to the wings the instructions became rather skimpy. It just takes more time studying the prints. At the time, the RVATOR news letter filled in some of the gaps.

If you can get a new canopy frame, I would do so as they are much, much better than the old ones.

Wow! I am overwhelmed by all the feedback and encouragement! I am super busy with work and probably wont really get into it for a month or so but its great to know there is help on here if I need it!

I am also lucky the kit came with both old and new construction manuals. It’s funny both describe pre punched skins so even the old one is newer than the kit. It did come with a DVD set that is not pre punched so that is pretty helpful but it does seem to go in a different order than the manuals.

I also forgot to mention the kit came with a metal Steven Fry fuselage jig. The Best part is the Finishing kit was from 2018 so I think it has the newer slider frame, and mostly newer rv7 parts like the cowling and pre drilled landing gear!

Thank you all! I’m sure I will have plenty of questions soon and will keep you all updated.

3x 6's

I finished my 6A in 2016.
Currently helping two other fellows finish a 6 and a 6A respectively. One is a quickbuild and the other is at quickbuild stage. But still lots to get done.

I have been able to spend a few hours prepping the ribs. The leading edge ribs are de-burred, straitened and fluted. I am hoping to get all the ribs prepped and the wing Jig set up so I’ll be ready to start construction when work slows down in a month or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.png
    IMG_0080.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
I have the remaining leading edge ribs de-bured and fluted.

Getting started on the wing jig. I am trying to utilize the built up plywood vertical posts the previous owner had built. They are secured to the bottom with galvanized brackets and at the top with 4 2x4 and brackets at the connections. Just screwed together now but I plan to add some bolts to make them more secure.

I am wondering if I should have rotated the posts 90 deg or not. I am not sure which direction should have the most strength and least amount of deflection. I put them this way thinking side to side as the spar brackets will be adjustable but now wondering about deflection with the wing hanging off the front.

I'm open to suggestions. Thank you

Attachments

• le ribs.jpeg
    le ribs.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 71
  • wing jig posts.jpeg
    wing jig posts.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the club!

My friend Patty, and I were **supposed** to finish N996PJ in 1999. Life happened and we finished it in 2002.

I was **SUPPOSED** to finish my much modified RV6A the same year (1999) and a WHOLE LOTTA life happened. I just got back "on it" (somewhat) this year.

It was one of the first batch of "Quickbuilds" (sold to me by Bill Benedict) and they were just getting things sorted out. Had to re-do some things as they got the pieces to work together and therefore took about as much time as a standard build in several areas.

Didn't mine the Bauxite but did have to draw lines and mark where holes would be.

Engine and prop should be done in November. Panel *should* be done by December (so probably April :) ).

The point is, there are still a few of us out there that will understand your questions. We probably forgot the answers that we had 20 years ago, but at least we know where to start to make them up. :) [And for the record, your jumping onto such a project inspires some of laggars who started a LOOOONG time ago!]

I have the remaining leading edge ribs de-bured and fluted.

Getting started on the wing jig. I am trying to utilize the built up plywood vertical posts the previous owner had built. They are secured to the bottom with galvanized brackets and at the top with 4 2x4 and brackets at the connections. Just screwed together now but I plan to add some bolts to make them more secure.

I am wondering if I should have rotated the posts 90 deg or not. I am not sure which direction should have the most strength and least amount of deflection. I put them this way thinking side to side as the spar brackets will be adjustable but now wondering about deflection with the wing hanging off the front.

I'm open to suggestions. Thank you

If you have the space then it is worth building both wings at the same time, in parallel, using the same jig uprights. Then the weight will balance out on each side of the posts and the thinking is only done once and applied to both wings. This makes the work a bit more efficient, like a production line.

The jig MUST be absolutely solid and stable because it is vital to build the wings without any twist. I don't know how stable are the shipping container floor and walls and roof but it should not rock or vibrate in any way, so it would need some very solid support and anchoring on the outside.

I'm still building my -6A, started in 1993, metal work all done and nearly time to install the engine, so hopefully not tooo long now before it finally flies...

Last edited:
Wings and jigs

I built a -4, same vintage as the -6..loong and sloow. As mentioned, if there is any way to build both wings at once, it will go smoother and more consistent, as you can do the same steps on each one. I used a fuselage jig that was built by Pat Hatch (on VAF) who built a -4 and a -6. Dried wood is best, or metal, but maybe you can find one someone else has. The My wing jigs were screwed to the ceiling joists and epoxied to the floor. Enjoy the "real build" experience!

Attachments

• Wing.jpg
    Wing.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 71
  • FUS JIG.jpg
    FUS JIG.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 77
Some great advice given already.
As mentioned rigidity is very important. There are few structures more rigid than a shipping container. However, they are not that easy to attach things to the walls and ceiling as you are probably finding out.
If you can weld a couple steel columns to the ceiling and anchor them to the floor with some angle brackets you would have a very solid jig. You could also weld angle brackets for a 4x4 post. Try your best to have a square, plumb, and level jig, but the important thing is the wing, not the jig. The jig just can’t be allowed to move.

The wing skeleton is typically assembled on a large table. This allows access for drilling the rear spar, attaching hinge brackets, etc…. It is then lifted onto the jig.
You then square, plumb, and level the spar and ribs on the jig, and continue to check these through the skinning process to insure there is no twist, warp, or sag.

I built my wing on a professional steel jig that had built over a dozen airplanes prior. It did have cross bars to allow both wings at a time, but there are pluses and minuses to that. It also had a removable horizontal beam that allowed the HS and VS to be built in the same jig. Something to consider.

Give yourself more room between the jig and the wall. You will appreciate that a lot later.

Thank you all for the advice and words of encouragement. It’s good to know I’m not alone in this endeavor.

I ended up rotating the posts and putting together some adjustable brackets and its very solid! I wish I had the room to do both wings but I just think it would be to tight. I may end up doing the layout on both together with one spar on the jig and one on the bench for reasons mentioned above. I will have to live with one at a time on the jig though.

Starting to see some of the difficulties with limited information on the plans and it’s difficult as all the plans/ books/ and dvds have changed through the years. I did watch the George and Becky Orndorff wing dvd the other day and I think I may follow that procedure as its the only instructions I have without pre punched skins. They do the leading edge and fuel tanks before the main skins and I think that makes sense for me. Ill just have to keep referencing the new plans and the
SB’s to make sure I incorporate any changes.

Anyway I just wanted to thank you all and figured I’d throw up a picture of the completed wing jig.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 88
RV6 engine mount

RV6 SN20111 has an O360 with an engine mount for an O360!
But....for CG reasons I found out, later, that an O320 engine mount would make a better choice. It moves the engine forward a small distance; I don't remember how much. The RV6, even with a "classic" tail and .016 skins, tended to be tail heavy.

There are a lot of us!

I apologize for the title to anyone else just starting an RV 6 project now or in the future. But hopefully it brings us together in discussion because we will probably both need some help!

I recently purchased an unbuilt early RV 6 kit. And by early I mean no pre-punched skins. It has been a bit harder to come by information than I thought for these "older" kits. It truly feels like I am the last one starting an RV 6 kit. I am getting the workshop set up and hope to find some advise and tips from some 6 builders on here as I proceed.

I am not walking into this totally blind as I have quite a bit of airframe experience on certificated aircraft. But this is my first RV and first Experimental experience.

I am lucky to live on an "airport" with a dirt strip that I hope will work out ok with the aircraft when it becomes more than a dream. What I don't have is a hangar at the moment. I have set up a 40' high cube shipping container to get started as both storage and a workshop to start construction.

The empennage kit has already been completed however I do believe I will end up building a new one for a few reasons if I can get my hands on another or possibly build a larger tail as the later kits had.

I plan to start on the wings. I have been prepping the ribs in the little amount of free time I have at the moment and things are going well so far. My work is seasonal in the Spring and Fall so I plan to go full in on the wings as we get into winter.

Hope to be posting progress more in the next few months and hopefully can get in touch with some RV 6 builders/ owners in the future. I am located in Elizabeth Colorado

More to follow!

Mine was sold in 1989! My hope is that it will fly by the end of the year. Hang in there. You’ll find it will go well, and there is an unimaginable amount of support from the RV world. Don’t hesitate to ask any question you have here. There are NO dumb questions!
As for the bigger tail, I am building a short tail RV6 and have been told by folks whose judgement I trust that the short tail RV6 is the sweetest flying one in the bunch. Just my .02 worth.

Turns out I’ll be working later in the year than I thought. But still making some progress on the wings. I decided too make a compromise and do the layout on both wings at the same time. Then do to space, I’ll remove one and skin them individually. Just got the ribs clecoed on the right wing.

Attachments

• IMG_5464.png
    IMG_5464.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5463.png
    IMG_5463.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
Just an update. Ended up working till the end of the year and flying the family to Tucson for the new year but finally able to work on the plane a little more. Now it’s just so dang cold here in Colorado!
Hard to warm up the storage container but warmer weather is on the way! Hopefully I’ll still have time to finish the wings this winter and stay on schedule.
I got the layout done on both wings. I put one away and in the process of skinning the right wing. So far I have the leading edge done and am working on the fuel tank.
IMG_5476.jpeg

I am going to get it cleacoed together and mount it to the wing and proceed to the main skins. I will rivet and B2 the tank together with the left tank when they are ready.
IMG_5661.jpeg

Other than the extreme cold the storage container is working out pretty good so far. I think it’s finally time to build a hangar at my place but I think this will work out ok for building the wings and the fuselage.

Following your posts brings back the memories of my build 20 years ago. Although the prepunched kits save a lot of work, i actually enjoyed all the drilling in my pre-prepunched kit. It was very therapeutic. I originally built to fly but looking back at my build, it was good times. Gives great sense of accomplishment.
Keep making progress. You will love the 6. I think it is the best of all the RVs.

Back