What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Already-painted part: how best to strip and prep for new paint?

strawtarget

I'm New Here
I have some used aluminum airplane parts. What is the best procedure to strip the old paint?

Once stripped, what should I do to prep them for new paint? Anything different than just treating it like a newly built part (alumiprep then primer)?

I'd be using a single-stage urethane paint.

A good chemical paint stripper is your best bet. Try to avoid anything you can buy from the hardware store If you can. Big waste of money IMHO. Instead seek out a nearby aircraft paint shop and see if you buy some of what they use. It doesn't hurt to ask. My favorite stuff is PR3500 from Eldorado Chemical Company.

Once stripped, sand off any little paint chips that the stripper might have left behind.

Wash your parts with soap and water to neutralize any stripper residue. I like Eldorado ED-500. Clear Tide or Ajax will also work.

Wash again with Alumiprep or other good etching solution. Scrub the etch with a piece of red scotchbrite. When you rince the etch off make sure the water sheets off cleanly. If it "breaks" you part is still dirty, you'll need to etch again.

Treat the now clean aluminum with alodine. This helps prevent corrosion and makes the primer stick.

Prime with a good two-part chromated epoxy primer.

Paint.

I hope this helps.
:)

Back