What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alpha Systems AOA Reports?

Dan 57

Well Known Member
My search engine returned a few hits, but I could not find any installer or user report...
please, only Alpha Systems AOA, has anyone:
  • installed one, difficulty, hoses routing (RV-6 single access panel wing)
  • glareshield position for a Valkyrie HUD, pictures
  • type chosen, Eagle or Falcon, why
  • used only full flaps calibration, or bought/used the I/O Module Enhancement or Flaps Transmitter
  • with manual flaps, 0/20/40° and no indication, added a sensor (or a 3 position switch to tell the system which flaps position is used)
  • photos of the exact location of the probe
  • pilot reports of the system

Appreciate any feedback (y)

We have the Eagle with “HUD” version on our Tundra and it works great! Installation similar but different than an RV of course, but not really any different than any other AoA in the wing in terms of running pressure lines. The “HUD” is nice, but….depending on how you sit in teh airplane, you might be lookign through the HUD directly at the top cowling, and not have it directly in your line of site. You really have to be a low-rider in your seat in order to be lookign through it on the actual velocity vector.

That said, I find the blue “split circle” to be quite visible in peripheral vision - a full circle puts you right on speed. Becasue we have multiple AoA’s in teh airplane, we actually use the Dynon AoA as our audio cue (and to my mind, audio is far superior to visual cues for AoA because you can be looking anywhere you want And still know your AoA state).

We’ve only got our calibrated in approach flaps condition because we have no flap switches on the airplane.

Overall, it is a very high quality package, and very good as a standalone system. If you have an EFIS with graduated tones, I’d say that is probably superior and makes the standalone un-necessary. But if you are using steam, gauges and want an AoA, the Apha Systems packages are excellent.

Paul

Thanks for chiming in Paul.

you might be lookign through the HUD directly at the top cowling, and not have it directly in your line of site

and

If you have an EFIS with graduated tones, I’d say that is probably superior and makes the standalone un-necessary

Very helpful, and things I didn't take into account. As in all taildragger RVs, I'm sitting as high as I can, the more so for leaving or returning to Terra Firma... not looking thru the HUD would negate its purpose.

Back