What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB Traffic at SF

So, why were they holding?
Several possibilities:
- Arrival is full and they need to space them out.
- Amazon arrival or departure. They have 25-ish flights a day in 737s and 767s - more spacing/time required.
- Mishap on the runway.

I went Wednesday with a neighbor in his -9A. As we were approaching Fantasy of Flight (starting point on the arrival), ATC was sending planes back up there, holding for an Amazon arrival. Our timing turned out to be just right. When we were about five minutes from turning inbound, they started sending everyone in. Easy peasy, no delay for us.

Going out was easy, too. We were in the plane ready to start midway theiugh the final airshow performance of the afternoon. The moment the red flag went down, flightline volunteers gave us the start signal and got us moving.

Last edited:
Several possibilities:
- Arrival is full and they need to space them out.
- Amazon arrival or departure. They have 25-ish flights a day in 737s and 767s - more spacing/time required.
- Mishap on the runway.

I went Thursday with a neighbor in his -9A. As we were approaching Fantasy of Flight (starting point on the arrival), ATC was sending planes back up there, holding for an Amazon arrival. Our timing turned out to be just right. When we were about five minutes from turning inbound, they started sending everyone in. Easy peasy, no delay for us.

Going out was easy, too. We were in the plane ready to start midway theiugh the final airshow performance of the afternoon. The moment the red flag went down, flightline volunteers gave us the start signal and got us moving.
What airshow performance Thursday?? They were cancelled - I was there and left about 1:00pm when the weather moved in vigorously.

What airshow performance Thursday?? They were cancelled - I was there and left about 1:00pm when the weather moved in vigorously.
D’oh! I meant Wednesday. Being retired, it’s hard to keep track of days. Every week has six Saturdays and a Sunday. I’ll edit it!

Reason I asked was picture didn't show many planes.

I forgot about Amazon. Haven't flown into SnF since they set up shop there.

Now it makes sense. Something else to plan for or consider if you don't like holding. In the past when it looked like there would be extended holding I'd land at ZPH and wait for traffic to clear up.

Back