What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Out Solution for Mode S Transponder?

547EL

I'm New Here
Looking for some help/advice/thoughts.

We had an old KT-76A Mode C transponder using a uAvionix Tailbeacon for our ADS-B out solution. But the KT-76A isn't working anymore, so we upgraded to the slide-in KT-74 Mode S transponder.

The problem is that a Tailbeacon doesn't work with a Mode S transponder, and I'm looking for the easiest ADS-B out solution for the KT-74.

We don't have a WAAS-enabled GPS, so we're looking to find something similar to the Tailbeacon or Garmin GDL 82 that includes the WAAS-enabled GPS and works with a Mode S transponder. But in searching for this type of solution, most seem to work only with Mode C transponders.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

As always, thank you so much!

Really? I wouldn't have thought Mode-S or not would make any difference.
I assume you did you talk to uAvionix?

Solutions... go back to a non mode S transponder is going to be cheapest I'd think.

The KT74 is really a rebadged Trig., good unit.
The TN70/72 or Garmin GPS20A should work.

The KT 74 GPS input can recognize the following protocols:
 Aviation Format
 NMEA 0183
 NexNav/FreeFlt
 Garmin ADS-B
 Trig ADS-B
 BK GPS Xpress.

Last edited:
Looking for some help/advice/thoughts.
….
The problem is that a Tailbeacon doesn't work with a Mode S transponder, and I'm looking for the easiest ADS-B out solution for the KT-74.

We don't have a WAAS-enabled GPS, so we're looking to find something similar to the Tailbeacon or Garmin GDL 82 that includes the WAAS-enabled GPS and works with a Mode S transponder. But in searching for this type of solution, most seem to work only with Mode C transponders.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

As always, thank you so much!

I think it should work with your new transponder. You will have to re-do the initial set up procedure.
1. Turn anonymous mode off. Not compatible with mode S.
2. Make sure your transponder is not attempting to send adsb-out data. Only one adsb-out device may operate from one airplane.
3. Likewise, if you get a gps (there are several others besides those on Walt’s list)
and use the new transponder for adsb-out but keep the uAvionics for adsb-in you must disable the uavionics transmitter. Not sure how to do this. Configure your out signal to show what ‘in’ frequencies you’re monitoring. Or buy a new ‘in’ only box and sell the uavionics.
Note, you do have a waas gps on-board, it’s built into the uAvionics. But I don’t know how to use it to feed data to the transponder.

Think of your avionics as a system, some stuff needs other stuff. Next time request help before buying anything. For example, the marketplace is flooded with good used gtx-327 transponders, for around $400. That would have fixed your problem (with some re-wiring required) inexpensively.

Have you contacted uAvionix directly? Even though uAvionix doesn't mention it on their website, everyone who sells the SkyBeacon says it works with C and S transponders, from Sporty's to AOPA to Seattle Avionics, and others all say it, etc.

So it MIGHT be the same thing with the Tailbeacon.

Make sure it does and if so this Skybeacon is new and cheap for sale right here on VAF so you don't have to go far to find it !! :D

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=219394

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.36.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.36.48 PM.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.36.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.36.11 PM.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.35.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.35.56 PM.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.35.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.35.24 PM.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.36.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 1.36.35 PM.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 15
AC20-165B

3.2.2 Installation Guidance.
3.2.2.1 UAT Systems With Mode S Transponders.
Do not install a UAT ADS-B OUT system with the capability to transmit a
random 24-bit address in an aircraft that also has a Mode S transponder
unless the random 24-bit feature is disabled. The ATC automation system
would interpret the different 24-bit addresses as two separate aircraft, and
alert controllers to a conflict that does not actually exist.

Not sure if you can disable the the UAT per the above?
You cannot turn off Mode S that I am aware of on the xpdr.

Back