What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912ULS heating option

Roku

Hello all

I was looking at some innovative ways to preheat my 912ULS.
It's hangered so out of the weather. I was thinking two lightbulbs in the front for the engine cooling intake holes (on a timer). I will need to see if they fit first. Another low cost option is a "Engine Heater Silicone Pan Heater" such as this on Amazon.

Thought (low cost) ideas?

Erich

I designed a heater based on a heat gun with a scat tube and deflector that entered through the bottom of the cowl. Warm air was directed onto the bottom of the crankcase. I had it powered with a wifi switch that I could remotely activate an hour before the flight.
I used it for a year but always worried about the potential of a fire if something went wrong.
I have since added an oil thermostat that causes the engine oil to reach 190 before letting sump oil circulate, warm up times are slightly over 5 minutes on 40 degree days.
http://waltsrv12.com/engine/thermostatis-kit/

Install either a Tanis ($$) or E-Z Heat ($) system. I avoid most home-grown set-ups due to lack of effectiveness and fire danger -- especially light bulbs placed in the cowling or interior. I use an E-Z Heat system that I plug into a 7-day / 24-hour programmable timer -- before leaving the hangar I program heating cycles for the upcoming week.

Back