What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8a already built wiring layout

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Sup folks.

Have an already flying 8A that I'm doin a full panel on with dynon.

I'm moving the switches up to the panel because I hate having to look down in order flip lights on and off etc.

Other than the obvious avionics and main bus, what's the best routing for it all? Guy who built it looked like he wired it with his eyes closed as far as routing through/ around bulkheads.

Need to get Adhars and A/P wiring to the tail, how accessible is the under floor areas? Looks like the main floor between front and rear seat is pop riveted.

Gracias

Usually you wire the RV-8 before you close up the front fuselage and install the floors. Doing it afterwards is possible but you better take some Yoga classes…. .

I put a corrugated pipe under the floor so I can add wires later. If the builder didn’t do that I would think it’s faster to drill out the floor boards and rivet them back in then trying to run wires below it as you will have a difficult time installing the wire supports even if you could get the wires through.

Hope that helps.

Oliver

It’ll probably take less time to drill the rivets out of the floorboards than it does to get the seats and stuff out of the way - and your wiring will be much better working with the floor out, so bite the bullet and take them out.

Usually you wire the RV-8 before you close up the front fuselage and install the floors. Doing it afterwards is possible but you better take some Yoga classes…. .

I put a corrugated pipe under the floor so I can add wires later. If the builder didn’t do that I would think it’s faster to drill out the floor boards and rivet them back in then trying to run wires below it as you will have a difficult time installing the wire supports even if you could get the wires through.

Hope that helps.

Oliver
Yeah, I've thought the same just looking at it

It’ll probably take less time to drill the rivets out of the floorboards than it does to get the seats and stuff out of the way - and your wiring will be much better working with the floor out, so bite the bullet and take them out.

Looks like they're just pop rivets, I've heard of guys adding screws for easy removal

I have two skyview bus in mine. The rear Skyview bus is located right at the rear battery box, which is used to house the ADHARS and the bus. The forward bus is located behind the front panel.

All the 9 wire bundles from the various Dynon blackboxes such as servos, magnetometer go to the rear bus. From the rear bus, there is a single 9-wire cable bundle that is routed to the forward bus where the EFIS, radio, transponder, and EMS are connected.

This wiring scheme limits the number wires that have to be routed under the floor to the front panel.

I have two skyview bus in mine. The rear Skyview bus is located right at the rear battery box, which is used to house the ADHARS and the bus. The forward bus is located behind the front panel.

All the 9 wire bundles from the various Dynon blackboxes such as servos, magnetometer go to the rear bus. From the rear bus, there is a single 9-wire cable bundle that is routed to the forward bus where the EFIS, radio, transponder, and EMS are connected.

This wiring scheme limits the number wires that have to be routed under the floor to the front panel.

Hmmm, by bus you mean network hub? I’m planning on using the fast stack panel and toss the network hub up there, and adhars in the tail

Looks like they're just pop rivets, I've heard of guys adding screws for easy removal

Some people flush rivet nutplates to the ribs and then use screws ( don’t use just sheet metal screws). One of my friends did that. He spend a lot of time on it and hasn’t removed the floorboards yet. I would just drill them out run the wires in a conduit and rivet them back in.

Oliver

Back