For anyone wondering, parts selected in the LCP portal are indeed shipping.

I received 339 LCP replacement (I opted to replace all r/y/b/g in my kits) and 7 associated parts on Thursday, Feb 29.

I should not play the lottery. I was one of the last asked to accept the new prices on my finish kit. I did not make it into the group of folks who received one of the kits they had ready on hand. I was one of the last given access to the LCP portal, and I have yet to be contacted about it, even though I'm only asking for like 30 parts, most yellow and red.

If LCP are so safe, why Vans stopped doing them? and don’t tell me that is because is more expensive as they claim…
I suspect it's because the public thinks they are inferior to punched parts and potentially unsafe.

I suspect it's because the public thinks they are inferior to punched parts and potentially unsafe.
Yep. Figure out how to laser-cut those parts without cracks (and yes that can be done) and there would not be an issue.

Yep. Figure out how to laser-cut those parts without cracks (and yes that can be done) and there would not be an issue.
Except that they are uneconomical compared to punched parts.
A punch goes to a point and simply plunges down and up.
A laser (done correctly) goes to a point turns on, spirals to the perimeter, traces the perimeter, spirals back to the center and turns off.
Do the math.
what I find more convincing than doing the math is going to the Vans factory and experiencing the punch press at work.
The high rate in which you hear the punch hit is impressive. It makes multiple punches per second, so multiple holes per second.
It also flings the large sheet of aluminum stick around quite quickly to line up the next hole. Seeing this late thing now so quickly is quite scary actually.
Personally I would call a punch press the scariest CNC based massive I’ve seen purely for the speed it works at.

Having seen a punch press working, I have absolutely no doubt it is a more efficient way to make parts than a laser cutter.

I’ve emailed, called and left voicemail, and have not even received a response about access to the LCP portal. Have not had any Vans communication to me since the original survey.
I’m glad some of you are getting your parts, but others like me are not able to get anything from Vans. Their communication Sucks!!!!

I should not play the lottery. I was one of the last asked to accept the new prices on my finish kit. I did not make it into the group of folks who received one of the kits they had ready on hand. I was one of the last given access to the LCP portal, and I have yet to be contacted about it, even though I'm only asking for like 30 parts, most yellow and red.

Neither should I. I waited, studied, and saved for 27 years before finally starting my RV journey. When I finally took the leap, my kits arrived with samples of nearly every possible LCP produced. Everything I dimpled cracked, and a majority of the parts looked positively awful. Then I was vilified by some folks here for chiming in politely to question some assertions. I mean, heaven forbid I leverage my engineering knowledge, extensive aviation-aligned engineering resources, and the plain truths of observation to establish an informed point of view, ya know? Bottom line - the initial experience came very close to motivating me to bail on experimental aviation, and were it not for the 3 RV projects I get to participate in regularly, I would have.

Anyway, I am hopeful that better days with less turbulence are just over the horizon, and I hope you and others are able to hold out patiently for just a little longer.

For what is worth, Van’s is clearly still struggling with LCP remediation processing. I inventoried my 300+ replacement parts this weekend. In doing so, I found:

2 parts were essentially destroyed in transit (UPS’ fault, not Van’s). Van’s has agreed to replace them both.

4 red, 2 yellow, and 7 blue parts I selected in the portal were dropped from my order, while I received 3 copies each of two other parts for which I only needed and ordered 1. I suspect this may be the result of the portal breaking early on when trying to select more than 71 distinct part numbers. Unfortunately, the misses and overages seem to reveal a continued quality control gap that may be working against financial goals (NOT intended as a dig toward Van’s; meant as a truthful and factual callout to a potential process problem that could unexpectedly increase cost).

With all respect, that video reads like an infomercial. Instead of four "industry leaders" and builders, I would have preferred one independent expert part 23 aluminum aircraft structural engineer/analyst who could authoritatively speak to the issues. Also, it misrepresents the problem in one way: it isn't an issue of "one or two rivets" as one of the panel members states, but potentially every rivet in an assembly having cracks. AFAIK, no analysis was been produced regarding that. No comment was made regarding the potential damage and reduction in strength of assemblies that have to be completely deconstructed due to LCP. There were other issues I observed when I viewed it.

Was this comment made prior to the Vans engineering analysis videos being published? They clearly demonstrate progressive destruction of a complete wing assembly doing exactly what you assert here was not done. They progressively fail every single load bearing path from the wing skins to the spars and show that it would still fly you home.

A punch goes to a point and simply plunges down and up.
A laser (done correctly) goes to a point turns on, spirals to the perimeter, traces the perimeter, spirals back to the center and turns off.
Do the math.
My guess is that the cost difference could be best explained along the lines of "A punch is owned by Van's, located in the Van's factory, and operated by a Van's employee. A laser is owned by another company, located at the other company's facility, and operated by the other company's employee, and they want to make a profit".

On the other hand: A punch needs some of its tools changed between runs (there's a tool for each hole diameter, each external radius, etc., and a punch can only hold so many of them at once) while a laser simply cuts the path that it is fed. Additionally, a punch requires a person to take the designer's CAD contours and determine which tool cuts each segment of each contour, a process that is largely software-automated but not entirely, especially given that there are non-intuitive tricks to getting higher-quality cut edges. So... the math is not so simple, is all I'm saying.

They clearly demonstrate progressive destruction of a complete wing assembly doing exactly what you assert here was not done. They progressively fail every single load bearing path from the wing skins to the spars and show that it would still fly you home.

I saw the 4-guys video before the long Van's video.

Vans did residual strength testing for the wing, not the empennage. The largest concentration of the LCPs (in the spreadsheets I saw) are in the empennage. Data from the wing doesn't necessary apply to the rest of the structure and any structural failure has the potential to be catastrophic. Nor did they address the issue about re-built structure.

But, as I said, Van's long engineering video was good enough to convince me to go with their recommendations for LCP replacement, as long as I didn't re-use other parts likely to be damaged when replacing the LCP.

Please don't misinterpret what I said above as me trying to creating a requirement for Van's to provide me that engineering info. I'm just describing what got me to my comfort level and concerns I still have.

Al
I saw the 4-guys video before the long Van's video.

Vans did residual strength testing for the wing, not the empennage. The largest concentration of the LCPs (in the spreadsheets I saw) are in the empennage. Data from the wing doesn't necessary apply to the rest of the structure and any structural failure has the potential to be catastrophic. Nor did they address the issue about re-built structure.

But, as I said, Van's long engineering video was good enough to convince me to go with their recommendations for LCP replacement, as long as I didn't re-use other parts likely to be damaged when replacing the LCP.

Please don't misinterpret what I said above as me trying to creating a requirement for Van's to provide me that engineering info. I'm just describing what got me to my comfort level and concerns I still have.
l good points, fair info and it answers my question about the timeline. I’m not sure about the flight loads on wing vs emp but they did state that they were testing based on worst case loads.

For what is worth, Van’s is clearly still struggling with LCP remediation processing. I inventoried my 300+ replacement parts this weekend. In doing so, I found:

2 parts were essentially destroyed in transit (UPS’ fault, not Van’s). Van’s has agreed to replace them both.

4 red, 2 yellow, and 7 blue parts I selected in the portal were dropped from my order, while I received 3 copies each of two other parts for which I only needed and ordered 1. I suspect this may be the result of the portal breaking early on when trying to select more than 71 distinct part numbers. Unfortunately, the misses and overages seem to reveal a continued quality control gap that may be working against financial goals (NOT intended as a dig toward Van’s; meant as a truthful and factual callout to a potential process problem that could unexpectedly increase cost).
I experienced the exact same thing (duplicates and missing parts). When I talked with the parts team, they made it sound like the invoices are not generated from the portal, but hand created (typed). The invoice was not ordered by part number, which made inventorying a challenge, and difficult to spot duplicates. That's right, I received duplicates, because there were duplicate entries on the invoice, and parts were missing from my order, because they were missing from the invoice.

Regarding the 14 Emp, I also do not think the correct number of parts are being offered on the portal. For example, only one elevator rib was allowed, but there are 12 needed.

All that said, Vans quickly sent me the missing parts. They asked that I email a list of duplicates I recieved.

Last edited:
I experienced the exact same thing (duplicates and missing parts). When I talked with the parts team, they made it sound like the invoices are not generated from the portal, but hand created (typed). The invoice was not ordered by part number, which made inventorying a challenge, and difficult to spot duplicates. That's right, I received duplicates, because there were duplicate entries on the invoice, and parts were missing from my order, because they were missing from the invoice.

Regarding the 14 Emp, I also do not think the correct number of parts are being offered on the portal. For example, only one elevator rib was allowed, but there are 12 needed.

All that said, Vans quickly sent me the missing parts. They asked that I email a list of duplicates I recieved.
Thank you for sharing. I contacted Van’s (email) about the missing and duplicate parts, but I have not heard anything back yet. Did you call or email?

I gathered the same thing re: the list being typed. The arrangement of items on the list made inventory a challenge for sure, but I was okay with that. I’d rather put in the extra work on my end to save Van’s folks from at least some of what has to be an incredibly tedious undertaking (to put it mildly).

Odd - I selected and received all 12 elevator ribs (E-1008).

Regardless of the minor issues, I’m glad things are moving & I am finally able to start building. I plan to use some of the LCPs for practice, and the rest will go to my EAA chapter to serve as teaching/learning aides.

I experienced the exact same thing (duplicates and missing parts)
My LCP replacements were packed into the Finish Kit. There was no packing list for the LCP replacements (but there was for the Finish Kit itself). I ended up using the spreadsheets I had previously sent them to inventory the LCP. I got everything I asked for but also got duplicates of some items.

I sent them an email regarding the dups on Tuesday 3/5 and have not yet gotten a reply.

Here are the LCP duplicates I received:

E-00907-1: received 4, needed 2
A-1003-1L: received 2, needed 1
A-1003-1R: received 2, needed 1
A-1004-1L: received 4, needed 2
A-1004-1R: received 4, needed 2
FL-00003-L: received 2, needed 1
FL-00003-R: received 2, needed 1

I'm sad about these duplicates because they create shrink in Van's inventory that impacts other builders.

Thank you for sharing. I contacted Van’s (email) about the missing and duplicate parts, but I have not heard anything back yet. Did you call or email?
I called them... From what I understand, there is a team specifically working the LCP replacement, but I talked with parts, and they got me what I needed.

I'm getting the impression that if you just ordered replacement LCP, and you don't also have another kit order on file, you're going to be one of the last folks to get those parts.

I'm getting the impression that if you just ordered replacement LCP, and you don't also have another kit order on file, you're going to be one of the last folks to get those parts.
I got my LCP's in the mail two days after requesting them - with no other parts ordered.

I’m not sure that tracks. I didn’t have any additional kits on order, but I received over 300 LCP replacements last week (Feb 29) after being contacted by Van’s on Feb 14.

Nope. Not necessarily. I submitted my RV-10 Wing LCP replacements from their email on 9-Feb; nothing else is on order. I received my verify and order on Wednesday 6-Mar. So finished verifying items yesterday 7-Mar. I can post back when they arrive. - dl (about 48 parts)

Nope. Not necessarily. I submitted my RV-10 Wing LCP replacements from their email on 9-Feb; nothing else is on order. I received my verify and order on Wednesday 6-Mar. So finished verifying items yesterday 7-Mar. I can post back when they arrive. - dl (about 48 parts)
Ok that's good to know. I guess I'm just way down the list. 🤷‍♂️

FWIW, RV-12is LCP replacement confirmed with the small number of additional pieces I ordered tonight. About $170. So the system is working. Also appears my Grove wheels may be coming as well.

Anyone had any LCP parts via the portal for the single number RVs? The 7/8/9s?
Get the feeling were at the back of the queue, given loads of parts for the -8 are on back order, not just LCP parts.

Anyone had any LCP parts via the portal for the single number RVs? The 7/8/9s?
Get the feeling were at the back of the queue, given loads of parts for the -8 are on back order, not just LCP parts.
FedEx is dropping off the box with replacement parts for my 9 empennage and wing later today.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there were two damaged, a few extra, and several missing parts in my LCP replacement order. I emailed details of the discrepancies to Van’s on Mar 4. Replacements for the damaged parts were processed and shipped almost immediately, but I didn’t hear anything further about the other discrepancies. Yesterday, after a week of no response, I decided to call the parts team to ensure my message had been received. It had been, and it was in queue to be reviewed.

In the course of a friendly conversation, I learned that there are just two people working to process LCP replacements, and processing includes: review of a portal submission, verification of r/y/b/g/associated part applicability for a given kit, manual keying of part numbers and quantities into an order, and manual application of a 25% or 100% discount for each item in the order.

We know there were roughly 1,800 customers with an unknown number of affected kits to work through, so I think it is safe to say it will take the team quite some time to get through the LCP replacement effort. The good news is they are indeed working through it.

Got mine as well for the empennage

I guess the only thing not progressing based on some chats I have, are the LCP replacements for built-in assemblies such as flaps or ailerons for QB wings or those with builtin elements into the QB fuselage.

Just got my order notice for the red/yellow LCP parts in my -7 empennage, as well as the optional blue parts that I requested. Hopefully they'll ship soon.

FWIW I got my notice on Mar 7 and a tracking number the same day. Although fedex still hasn't received the package according yo my tracking number.

Things are still moving. Yesterday, I received 13 parts that were missing from my original LCP replacement order.

Interestingly, one of the parts I received (F-01416A) was a laser cut part date stamped 05/02/2023. I believe Van’s said LCPs were removed from inventory, but it seems at least one was missed. I’m sure they’ll make it right, but I was still surprised.

Ok. Received all of my LCP replacement parts today from a 7-March submission, was out of the country since Feb so asked for a delay in shipping as I would not be home before the 26th (Today)
IMG_8298.jpeg
IMG_8299.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, has anyone with QB wings received any information on ordering complete aileron and flap kits? In January 2024 I received an e-mail indicating complete replacement kits would be available. I just sent a second e-mail to @kitstatus asking about an easy way to order the complete kits. Thanks

Hi, has anyone with QB wings received any information on ordering complete aileron and flap kits? In January 2024 I received an e-mail indicating complete replacement kits would be available. I just sent a second e-mail to @kitstatus asking about an easy way to order the complete kits. Thanks
No news. I made the same request.

Just an update on my LCP order.

I had to call in after 10 days of no updates. Spoke to the parts team there was a minor issue that didn't link the payment to my order. got everything fixed over the phone and the order shipped that same day. My parts arrived Easter Monday.

I've posted in the classifieds but ill ask here just to broaden my search if that's ok. (delete if not)

If there is anyone with LCP RV7 Tanks i'd be interested in getting them from you. I have an older poorly built set that i'd like to replace and i don't have an issue with using LCP parts for my tanks. Even if its just the LCP parts that still better then having to wait for the entire kits to become available again.

I have tank ribs and I think both baffles that might fit the bill. I'm traveling for work this week and can't remember the exact amounts I've got (I think all ribs and baffles, though) but I should have most of the parts to help you out. I can check on Saturday. It looks like I'm two lakes away from you in Milwaukee.

I have tank ribs and I think both baffles that might fit the bill. I'm traveling for work this week and can't remember the exact amounts I've got (I think all ribs and baffles, though) but I should have most of the parts to help you out. I can check on Saturday. It looks like I'm two lakes away from you in Milwaukee.
thank you, sent you a PM about this.

My LCP replacements were packed into the Finish Kit. There was no packing list for the LCP replacements (but there was for the Finish Kit itself). I ended up using the spreadsheets I had previously sent them to inventory the LCP. I got everything I asked for but also got duplicates of some items.

I sent them an email regarding the dups on Tuesday 3/5 and have not yet gotten a reply.

Here are the LCP duplicates I received:

E-00907-1: received 4, needed 2
A-1003-1L: received 2, needed 1
A-1003-1R: received 2, needed 1
A-1004-1L: received 4, needed 2
A-1004-1R: received 4, needed 2
FL-00003-L: received 2, needed 1
FL-00003-R: received 2, needed 1

I'm sad about these duplicates because they create shrink in Van's inventory that impacts other builders.
Van's has not responded to my questions about this. I really hate to toss these things into the trash, but it is probably economically impractical for Van's to pay for me to ship these back. Or for other builders to pay shipping to get them, for that matter.

If anyone in the SoCal area is going to Van's and is willing to schlep these parts, let me know.