What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GSA 28 Servo Service-Life Extension (Service Bulletin 23038)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Morning,

We released a Service bulletin today that outlines a Service-Life Extension program for our GSA 28 Autopilot Servos. Garmin has implemented several design and manufacturing process improvements to improve GSA 28 reliability. The latest update has been added to a consolidation of all past improvements into a single effort that will best serve our G3X, G3X Touch and G5 autopilot customers. The Service-Life Extension Program allows up to five years to exchange, under warranty, all affected GSA 28 servos for servos marked with Mod 1.

While we are pleased many of you enjoy the seamless operation and utility your autopilot provides, we know some have experienced servo issues. As a result, Garmin has implemented several improvements within the current production servo design and manufacturing processes and we are confident these improvements will increase the reliability of the servo.

GSA 28 Part Numbers covered under this program:

• All 011-02927-00 and 011-02927-11 GSA 28 units
  • All 011-02927-20 and 011-02927-21 GSA 28 units that are not marked with Mod 1

We’ve created a single location with instructions on how to locate serial numbers on your displays, compare those to known affected part numbers/serial numbers and instructions for the most efficient next steps to move forward. If your initial installation occurred before the Fall 2022 timeframe, your aircraft is likely impacted.

For those with servos in the affected serial number range, you can perform the servo replacement at a time of your choice, pending servo availability, like a regularly scheduled maintenance event. We are providing a 5-year window to exchange the servos, and from the time you process the exchange, a 6-month (or remaining factory warranty period if applicable) warranty period will begin.

Garmin will prioritize aircraft with the replacement of all servos, should one become inoperative.

For those that have already paid for servo replacements outside of warranty, please email [email protected].

Please send any questions you may have our way!

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Warranty Period

It is five years from the date of this Service Bulletin. You can exchange your servos at your convenience, any time in the next 5 years. When you process the exchange, a 6 month warranty will go into effect, unless you have more than 6 months remaining on your original factory warranty. The greater of the two is applied.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
I'm just getting around to installing a pair of GSA 28's which I've had sitting on the shelf for months into my -6. The on-the-ground setup is complete but have not flown yet. One thing I found odd is there's about 3-4 deg of radial slop (backlash) in the shaft when the clutch is engaged. Both servos are the same, so I assume that's normal. Are the revised servos tighter in that regard?

Also, it would be great if you could implement a "hot swap" type of arrangement where you send us new servos first and then we send the old servos back in the same packaging. You could require payment up front which is refunded upon old servo receipt if you wanted.

Hot swap

I'm just getting around to installing a pair of GSA 28's which I've had sitting on the shelf for months into my -6. The on-the-ground setup is complete but have not flown yet. One thing I found odd is there's about 3-4 deg of radial slop (backlash) in the shaft when the clutch is engaged. Both servos are the same, so I assume that's normal. Are the revised servos tighter in that regard?

Also, it would be great if you could implement a "hot swap" type of arrangement where you send us new servos first and then we send the old servos back in the same packaging. You could require payment up front which is refunded upon old servo receipt if you wanted.

Great comment and worth clarifying. For the G5 recall Garmin provided “hot swap” service and worked well.

Serial Numbers

Stupid question,
my serial numbers tarts with 2PG... but the part number is 010-

Am I affected?

Is there a safety of flight issue?

The single location link just goes to a survey question for me. Assuming you will not ship the servos in advance of receiving the old ones. How do I insure that availability exists before I remove and ship you the old ones. Would like to minimize down time.

Servo Coverage

Stupid question,
my serial numbers tarts with 2PG... but the part number is 010-

Am I affected?

Is there a safety of flight issue?

Your servos are covered by the bulletin. This Service Bulletin describes an extension of warranty coverage, and not any kind of safety issue.

Thanks,

Justin

The single location link just goes to a survey question for me. Assuming you will not ship the servos in advance of receiving the old ones. How do I insure that availability exists before I remove and ship you the old ones. Would like to minimize down time.

I just went through the exchange process with my servos. This is how it was handled in my case.

1. Get an RMA from Garmin.
2. Give them your CC info and the new replacement servos are sent immediately. Your CC will be charged the full price of the replacement servos.
3. Ship your old servos to Garmin with RMA # written on box. Your CC will be credited for the full amount.

Servo issues

I’m on my third set of servos …. The ones in the plane are eligible for replacement under Garmin’s current news release. My issues with the servos were somewhat tied to the elevator trim wired through the pitch Servo . After wiring directly to the trim I haven’t had any “ Messages “ on my 460 screen.
Garmin is giving a 5 year window to replace servos ….. my question is if a Servo works good in service for 7 years why should I replace it (5 years from now ) for a unit that has a 6 month warranty????? Most of my failures are “Infancy Failures “
It would be nice to know the issues that Garmin is trying to address so users can make an educated choice.

Older units?

I have an older system. My SN# 010-01068-00
Is there an update or change I should make? Thanks

Last edited:
Servo Identification

I have an older system. My SN# 010-01068-00
Is there an update or change I should make? Thanks

This FAQ link includes directions for identifying if your servos are affected.

I’m on my third set of servos …. The ones in the plane are eligible for replacement under Garmin’s current news release. My issues with the servos were somewhat tied to the elevator trim wired through the pitch Servo . After wiring directly to the trim I haven’t had any “ Messages “ on my 460 screen.
Garmin is giving a 5 year window to replace servos ….. my question is if a Servo works good in service for 7 years why should I replace it (5 years from now ) for a unit that has a 6 month warranty????? Most of my failures are “Infancy Failures “
It would be nice to know the issues that Garmin is trying to address so users can make an educated choice.

We made modifications to the servo hardware that will improve the long term reliability of the equipment. In contrast with making this new design available for purchase for existing customers, you can exchange them any time in the next 5 years for free, and you will have the most up to date hardware in your aircraft. There is no requirement that you do so.

Thanks,

Justin

I have download3d all the bulletins and determined my servos are affected, Serial numbers begin with 2PG. Whatphone number do I call at Garmin?

GSA 28 failure strategy

Mine are also affected but from what I can tell you have 5 years to exchange them. Unless one goes tango uniform during that time my plan is to wait. Most likely they will do a hot swap and you can get one very soon and replace at your leisure. For the next year my guess Garmin will have more than they can keep up replacing these. Unless they break why replace?

I had to wait almost a full year for the avionics to show up for my RV-12iS project. Are the replacements in stock? If not, what is the anticipated timeframe?

Thank you.

GSA 28 Exchange Information

I had to wait almost a full year for the avionics to show up for my RV-12iS project. Are the replacements in stock? If not, what is the anticipated timeframe?

Thank you.

Please give us a call at 1-866-854-8433. You will want to set up an exchange for your servos, that coincides roughly with the date you will be installing them. If that date is within weeks, that will not be a problem, we can schedule it for then.

I have download3d all the bulletins and determined my servos are affected, Serial numbers begin with 2PG. Whatphone number do I call at Garmin?

1-866-854-8433. You have 5 years to initiate the exchange for your servos. Once you process the exchange, a 6 month warranty period will begin on the new equipment.

Mine are also affected but from what I can tell you have 5 years to exchange them. Unless one goes tango uniform during that time my plan is to wait. Most likely they will do a hot swap and you can get one very soon and replace at your leisure. For the next year my guess Garmin will have more than they can keep up replacing these. Unless they break why replace?

If a servo fails, we will prioritize the replacement servos for that aircraft. The 5 year period provides plenty of flexibility to initiate the exchange for installations that are not experiencing any Autopilot failures.

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you!

Great customer support, and the 5-year swap period is excellent.

Thanks Garmin!

ds

I was able to check my servos and they do fit in the replacement group. I sent an email to Garmin late last night and received an email this morning asking when I want to do the replacement. I schedule for the end of August to match my annual. I have had no problems so replacing in September will work great.

I am really impressed with Garmin. My system only has 220 hours but was purchased in 2015 and it is still top of the line equipment.

2PG servos
Your servos are covered by the bulletin. This Service Bulletin describes an extension of warranty coverage, and not any kind of safety issue.

Thanks,

Justin

If the 2PG servos are covered in the SB (like mine, purchased in 2021), why are they not listed in the SB? Are there any GSA 28's manufactured before September 2022 that are NOT covered? It seems the intent is to replace the servos manufactured before this date.

As and A&P/IA I would incorrectly tell a customer that the SB does not apply to his 2PG servos. Please correct the SB.

Garmin Aviation has confirmed the below summary, via email:

Garmin Autopilot? Please read. This year Garmin released Service Bulletins 23038 RevA (non certified) and 23024 (certified). These service bulletins apply to all GSA 28 smart servos, shipped before September 1, 2022; that are NOT marked with "MOD 1". Anytime between now and 2028 (5years) Garmin will replace, for free, your Garmin GSA 28 servos. For certified aircraft, they will pay for labor. There is some confusion with the part and serial numbers listed in the SB. Regardless of what the SB states, if your unit is not listed and you don't have a "MOD 1", Garmin will most likely replace it. This is based on recent emails I've had directly with Garmin Aviation.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/aviation/faq/6SJZO0KVTe24EftQtTcOZ9?keywordSearch=gsa+28

Back