What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2023 Oshkosh Social

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Beer%20Fairy%20With%20Trumpets.jpg

2023 Oshkosh RV Social

Monday July 24th

1366 WEST WAUKAU AVENUE

Starts When The Airshow Gets Boring (Let's call it 4 o'clock)

Ends When The Kegs Run Dry

Yes, it's on! The old sot staggered up from the basement and declared herself ready to party, assuming she could find some clean underwear...

Same place as last year, same time...Monday evening, first official show day, in the backyard of the second house just outside the Waukau Ave EAA gate. We'll open the taps at 4 o'clock, as last year everyone seemed to like the earlier start.

The Beer Fairy drank all her own money, so this doesn't happen without the support of vendors who love you. For the 11th time, Gallagher Aerospace is our location host. The Gallagher Gang will be in the big tent all week with refreshments and shade, plus they're hosting their own event on Wednesday evening. You're invited then too, so stop by and say thanks. It is the best place in the world to get answers to airplane insurance questions.

And now, drum roll please...here are the folks to thank. Many have sponsored the event for more than a decade, so please, show 'em some love in return!

Aircraft Specialty Flightlines
Tom Swearengen - the hose and plumbing man

Barrett Precision Engines
Rhonda Barrett - famously good motors

CQ Headsets
Scott Card - headsets that work

Delta Pop Aviation
Don Pansier - the best antennas

Flyboy/Team Rocket
Blake and Vince Frazier - all kinds of cool stuff

JD Air
Darwin Barrie - best tailwheel ever

Kitplanes Magazine
Marc Cook - don't care where you read it, just read it!

Lycoming/Thunderbolt
Chris Gayman - brand new, any way you like

Monkworkz
Bill Judge - compact, lightweight electrical power

SteinAir
Stein and the Gang - avionics of every flavor

Now for The Usual Serious Message: Be responsible. Keep an eye on your buddy. Walk or elect a designated driver. Make sure all your people get home safe.

Slap on a name tag when you arrive; the goal is to put faces with names. You'll find them on the picnic table. Social rules are the same as VAF rules; keep it civil, and keep it RV. We'll have plenty of water and soft drinks for the no-hops folks. If you want food, grab something on the way, or try the place next door. Don't toss your cup; keep it for refills! When a tap runs dry, find me and I'll hang another keg; can't connect them all at one time. No parking on site, unless you bring your miniature Harley. No door prize interruption this year. RSVP's are not necessary. And please, as always, everyone try to convince Jenny to dance on the picnic table.

'Nuff said. See you there!

OSH%20Social%20Map.jpg

Last edited:
Social

jBird and Carol plan on being there,,, unless The Beach Boys are opening the show.

Ok gang, sponsor list is up and the beer is ordered!

https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1684015&postcount=1

Note a new sponsor this year, Bill Judge at Monkworkz. Need some extra electrons?

Let's have a shout out for former sponsors Andrew and Carrie Barker. They supported the Social (and several other events) for more than a decade, under the Trutrak banner and then personally out of pocket. Today TruTrak is part of Bendix/King. Go Andrew!

Social

Liz and Ed will be there! This social is one reason we decided to sell the Sonex we built and buy an RV-9A ( at 78 I thought it might not be prudent to order a kit and build it :D)

Social

Liz and Ed will be there! This social is one reason we decided to sell the Sonex we built and buy an RV-9A ( at 78 I thought it might not be prudent to order a kit and build it :D)

I'm just sayin'...

Attachments

• !cid_601MR52I3qvHFQ1I56XP.jpg
    !cid_601MR52I3qvHFQ1I56XP.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 120
Is there a program of any sort? I see there is also a dinner sponsored by Vans on Tuesday night. Is that worth attending?

Is there a program of any sort? I see there is also a dinner sponsored by Vans on Tuesday night. Is that worth attending?

No program - just wander around the back yard and talk to people….LOTS of people!

The Van’s banquet on Tuesday is totally different - and well worth attending if you haven’t. Dinner and a program giving you some insight into Van’s.

Last edited:
Ron & Lori

Try and find some local brew from East Pasco please. See you at the Sunday Beer Tasting in Home Built Camping on Sunday...:D

Try and find some local brew from East Pasco please. See you at the Sunday Beer Tasting in Home Built Camping on Sunday...:D

Jerry, I haven’t seen a post the Sunday beer tasting was happening this year. If I get to Oshkosh Sunday I will bring you a six pack of Black Butte Porter. :D

Jerry, I haven’t seen a post the Sunday beer tasting was happening this year. If I get to Oshkosh Sunday I will bring you a six pack of Black Butte Porter. :D

I'll be at the Sunday beer tasting. So if there are only 3 of us, there should be plenty of beer, right?

Make it four of us. I haven’t heard anything about the Sunday beer tasting at HBC either, but some of us can make it happen. We just need ice, which is available right there.

Sunday Beer

I'm pretty sure The Tasting is on...haven't heard otherwise. And many thanks Skid

Last edited:
Planning to attend as a first timer.
Looking forward to meet VAFer's in person !! :cool:

Can’t wait.

Never made it last year…looks like I’m coming solo and have some room to spare. Is it appropriate to bring weak Canadian beer?

Don

Never made it last year…looks like I’m coming solo and have some room to spare. Is it appropriate to bring weak Canadian beer?

Don

You can bring it to the Beer Tasting at HBC.
You won't need it at the social. Dan has made sure, the taps will never run dry at the social.

You can bring it to the Beer Tasting at HBC.
You won't need it at the social. Dan has made sure, the taps will never run dry at the social.

Actually, I try to adjust the quantity so we run out at a reasonable hour. The venue is the backyard of a private home, so I don't want howlers hanging out til midnight.

A few years back there was this group from the Netherlands, which is apparently a nation of serious beer drinkers. Still had some Fixed Gear on tap and they were determined to finish it. One 'ole girl kept telling me I was cute, which tells you just how wasted they were...;)

Actually, I try to adjust the quantity so we run out at a reasonable hour. The venue is the backyard of a private home, so I don't want howlers hanging out til midnight.

A few years back there was this group from the Netherlands, which is apparently a nation of serious beer drinkers. Still had some Fixed Gear on tap and they were determined to finish it. One 'ole girl kept telling me I was cute, which tells you just how wasted they were...;)

And I remember, not too many years ago, wondering if I was going to have to find a cart to wheel a 7' tall bloke from Alabama back to his tent from said back yard!

Don't pay any attention to Scott. He is really not much of a chaperone.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 180
Beer Fairy Bash

Thanks Dan for keeping the old winged girl in your basement between Oshkosh Monday afternoon beer party's. Like another poster said: The Beer Fair gathering has become my favorite Oshkosh event. See you there!
Danny and Marthajane

Got the old lady duct-taped, bagged, and ready to go.

Quick reminder; Monday evening we'll open the taps at 4:00, rather than waiting until after the airshow. Did that last year and everyone seemed to like it better.

Number one rule: Make sure your buddies go home safe.

Be sure to get a name tag when you arrive. They're on the picnic table, as always.

And please, thank the sponsors when you see 'em. They make it happen!

Jenny Estes
Tom Swearengen
Rhonda Barrett
Scott Card
Don Pansier
Blake and Vince Frazier
Darwin Barrie
Marc Cook
Chris Gayman
Bill Judge
Stein and the Gang

Back