What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 side storage

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I’m looking at the areas below the arm rests for potential storage compartments.

If someone is proud of theirs, please share.

Attachments

• 02ED8D8C-4603-456C-9856-DD320212D2EB.jpg
    02ED8D8C-4603-456C-9856-DD320212D2EB.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 124
I can't take any credit for it, because I didn't do it, but this is what is in the -8 that I have. It is very convenient.

IMG_3687-L.jpg

IMG_3688-L.jpg

IMG_3689-L.jpg

Some thoughts:
- This is the most common storage spot:
20230420-192655.jpg

- The opposite side can be done, but if you have a rear throttle the space is limited and for me not worth the effort:
20230420-192815.jpg

- I recommend not putting storage forward of these spots (outboard of the passenger foot wells). I flew in the back of an RV-8 with these made into storage and found that they prevented my feet from doing anything other than pointed straight up (instead of relaxed and angled outboard). This was an annoyance.
20230420-192709.jpg

- I did see one RV-8 with the right side aft panel below the arm rest modified to have a storage area. This works but is not accessible to the pilot in flight, and if you have a passenger the stuff sticking out can be a problem. Do not make the storage taller than the existing rear seat arm rest. Some restoration of panel strength would be a good idea as well.
20230420-192701.jpg

Carl

I made storage compartments ABOVE the arm rests in front, on both sides. The arm rest itself forms the bottom of the compartment.

I don't think anyone actually finds the front arm rests useful as arm rests anyway. But I'm pretty happy with the storage there. However, I did make the sides come up a bit too high, (so the compartment is too deep). It is a bit hard to reach in to grab a pen, for example. So on my next one, the compartments won't be quite so deep.

I also made a small storage compartment in the right hand side flap drive cover. There is a partition on it to prevent anything from drifting back into the actual flap drive mechanism. I keep a small bag of tools and spare headset batteries in there.

I made storage compartments ABOVE the arm rests in front, on both sides. The arm rest itself forms the bottom of the compartment.

I don't think anyone actually finds the front arm rests useful as arm rests anyway. But I'm pretty happy with the storage there. However, I did make the sides come up a bit too high, (so the compartment is too deep). It is a bit hard to reach in to grab a pen, for example. So on my next one, the compartments won't be quite so deep.

I also made a small storage compartment in the right hand side flap drive cover. There is a partition on it to prevent anything from drifting back into the actual flap drive mechanism. I keep a small bag of tools and spare headset batteries in there.

Mine are like Steves, and I agree that the arm rests aren’t really useful for an average-sized person. I also built similar compartments below the upper ones, which gives lots of room for accumulated pilot stuff…

So there I was minding my own business.

On the way out the door going to work, my support staff asked if she can have a USB port in the back to charge her phone.

No problem. Of course I didn’t tell her that one was going back there anyway.

Will I have someplace to put my phone when I’m not using it and it can still be charging?

No problem. Surprise. I guess I didn’t want to curl the mid side skins today.

5 hours later, no problem. BTW - Small boxes are harder to make than large ones. A millimeter or 2 off knocks them out of square quickly.

I am using the top of the space below the arm rest for her and the rest will be for storage.

Attachments

• B0E40D98-E0BA-4A2B-841A-03297535B782.jpg
    B0E40D98-E0BA-4A2B-841A-03297535B782.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Here’s what I did. Same on both sides. Ideas copied from other RV-8s I saw.

Attachments

• CA781477-9044-4645-AF9D-0C696812EF60.jpg
    CA781477-9044-4645-AF9D-0C696812EF60.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 183
  • 62781EAC-D9E1-40E2-BFA4-4F0D46271E4F.jpg
    62781EAC-D9E1-40E2-BFA4-4F0D46271E4F.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 188
So there I was minding my own business.

On the way out the door going to work, my support staff asked if she can have a USB port in the back to charge her phone.

No problem. Of course I didn’t tell her that one was going back there anyway.

Will I have someplace to put my phone when I’m not using it and it can still be charging?

No problem. Surprise. I guess I didn’t want to curl the mid side skins today.

5 hours later, no problem. BTW - Small boxes are harder to make than large ones. A millimeter or 2 off knocks them out of square quickly.

I am using the top of the space below the arm rest for her and the rest will be for storage.
Yeah, but what about the cigar lighter? :D

Here is my version, borrowing from some ideas and adding my own.

I used brackets with double sided tape so I did not have to make any new holes in my newly acquired RV8.

Magnets keep the door closed.

Attachments

• DH 2.jpg
    DH 2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DH 1.jpg
    DH 1.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 48

Same here. Absolutely vital. It's where the kitchen garbage bag rides, the kind with the red strip around the opening....

Back