What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Name & Source of black plastic "cooling tube"?

dbier99

Well Known Member
As a new RV6-A owner I'm still getting up to speed on part names/terminology. I've noticed that several of the flexible black plastic tubes used to direct airflow to various components behind the engine baffle/wall are brittle and one has even cracked.
I'll try to attach a picture with one of the tubes circled in blue. The tubes are about 5/8" ID and 7/8" OD. They resemble the tubes used to bundle up power/monitor cords to keep a desk looking neat but are not slit and seem to be thicker. I'm calling them cooling tubes, however I can't find anything like them on Aircraft Spruce or elsewhere.
Does anyone know the proper name and/or a source?

Attachments

• 20230412_173234.jpg
    20230412_173234.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 162
Notes

Thanks! That version seems to be for wiring conduit. Not clear if it is same as the CBT-5/8 tube they specifically sell for cooling air - which unfortunately is on backorder.

There's a note.
"Nylon corrugated tube. 0.810" OD. Use for wire runs in the wings and fuselage. Suitable for engine compartment, but maintain 4-6" from exhaust system. Included in wiring kit."

The other choice, as mentioned, is SCAT. Spruce sells 5/8".
Mine are the conduut. I can swap out easy if they get crunchy.

Thanks! That version seems to be for wiring conduit. Not clear if it is same as the CBT-5/8 tube they specifically sell for cooling air - which unfortunately is on backorder.

Same stuff. When it first came out in the electrical industry, the primary color available was blue. It was called “Smurf Tubing” for that reason. Most electrical supply stores carry it.

Some of the corrugated electrical conduit is split longitudinally to make it easy to stuff wire in. I wouldn’t want that feature for a blast tube.

Some of the corrugated electrical conduit is split longitudinally to make it easy to stuff wire in. I wouldn’t want that feature for a blast tube.

You can use it in a pinch - just use a piece of large heat shrink around it (full length) to close it up.

Last edited:
I purchased "Uxcell 5M 16 x 20 mm Plastic Flexible Corrugated Conduit Tube" on eBay and it appears to be identical to the tubing that came with my kit.

Support Vans Aircraft

Please buy from Vans Aircraft when you can. We want the company that brought us our kits to be there for us forever.
Thanks

True but the split version of plastic conduit can be "glued" or sealed with red RTV. It is ugly but works.

You can use it in a pinch - just use a piece of large heat shrink around it (full length) to close it up.
Yeah you could do that but I find large diameter heat shrink and long lanes kind of expensive but it's not a bad idea.

Last edited:
Back