What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Level Capacitance Senders

ten4teg

Well Known Member
I purchased a project that has the subject units installed in the tanks. I am in the process of wiring these to a GRT Horizon 10.1 display and cannot find any information on them. All I found other then the probes, is a roll of shielded wire. Can someone give me some guidance on how to wire these or find the appropriate documentation. Appreciate the help. See attached.

Attachments

• FuelLevel1.jpg
    FuelLevel1.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 74
  • FuelProbeWire.jpg
    FuelProbeWire.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 82
You may need something like this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/dynonCapVLT.php

Basically, it converts it into a "normal" voltage type signal that most EFIS's understand. I assume the coax cable was so that you could carry the signal to something similar before converting it, but I just put the Dynon converters directly on the BNC that you have on the tank (this was for an HDX install, not sure about GRT). But, the description says these Dynon converters can be used with any system that needs voltage style readings.

Vans OP-7

I purchased a project that has the subject units installed in the tanks. I am in the process of wiring these to a GRT Horizon 10.1 display and cannot find any information on them. All I found other then the probes, is a roll of shielded wire. Can someone give me some guidance on how to wire these or find the appropriate documentation. Appreciate the help. See attached.

Go to your Vans store account and look for OP-7 drawing. It'll show you the whole setup.

Attachments

• OP-7 Capactive Fuel Quantity Sender.jpg
    OP-7 Capactive Fuel Quantity Sender.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 135
You may need something like this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/dynonCapVLT.php

Basically, it converts it into a "normal" voltage type signal that most EFIS's understand. I assume the coax cable was so that you could carry the signal to something similar before converting it, but I just put the Dynon converters directly on the BNC that you have on the tank (this was for an HDX install, not sure about GRT). But, the description says these Dynon converters can be used with any system that needs voltage style readings.
I used the Dynon converters with my AFS/Dynon system and they work just fine.

You can still purchase the capacitive converters that Vans used to sell with their kits. Contact Dave Arata at Electronics International 541-318-6060. I purchased a replacement two weeks ago. It was about $29 plus shipping.

Back