What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage stand too tall?

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I built this. I think it might be too tall and make it difficult once I flip the canoe. Is there a standard height which these things are usually built?

Hard to tell from pictures how high it is. When I was at your stage I used a engine rotisserie and it was mounted roughly in the middle of the firewall.

I just measured the stand and it is 36" tall. So if the middle of your firewall is give or take at 36" I think you"ll be fine. It at least worked well for me at that height.

Arnie

Mine was tall enough that I could get under it to put antennae on the belly. I want to say that the part the spar area rested on was probably 14" or so. I also made it wide enough that I could use that part as a step up to then step over into the fuselage.

I got the basic dimensions for mine based on a google search and just copied what somebody else had done, but I don't remember the exact dimensions.

Keep in mind that whatever height you get the spar area, you need to get the tail quite a bit higher for it to set in level flight attitude, so take that into consideration.

Attachments

• IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Not pertinent to your question but, looking at your picture it doesn’t look like you have spacers in the center section of the spar. Spacers just a few thousands larger than the wing spar will make installation of the wings a straight forward task vs. a total exercise of frustration if the center section gets squeezed a few thousands too small.
Some have relayed the extremely difficult process of obtaining the needed installation clearance .
If you have spacers in place disregard my busybody comments.

I have the spacers on the two bolts. I had wood spacers until it was riveted. Perhaps I should keep them in there?

Mine is about 25" tall and sits below the main spar carry through. It took a standard Sawhorse just about between F-711 and F-712 bulkhead the level the fuse. I used parts I already had built for other projects so this is what I ended up with. The height has worked well for me (i'm 6-3). If I were to build something specific for this, I probably would make it a little lower to enable reaching or climbing in a bit easier. Somewhere in the 18-22" range seems about right.

FWIW, I removed the spar spacer blocks after riveting the side skins.

Attachments

• IMG_8198.jpg
    IMG_8198.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
Rotisserie

My rotisserie was built with 4x4x4s. I could roll under sitting on a stool. It was great.

I built this. I think it might be too tall and make it difficult once I flip the canoe. Is there a standard height which these things are usually built?

Height & configuration is totally builders preference. What ever works best for you.
This won’t be the first jig you will be building, so get creative!

Back