Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2021, 01:54 PM

Default DID YOU KNOW there may be training requirements to fly your builders project?

Youíve worked on building your aircraft for years and now itís finally time to start flying. Donít let unknown training requirements get in the way of your excitement. Even though quotes are only valid for around 60-90 days, you can request quotes for full flight at any time so you donít have any surprises when youíre ready to fly. At this time, most of the insurance companies are requiring at least 25 hours tailwheel time for any Vans tailwheel model. If it is a RV-8 that you are building, you may want to get some time in another RV-8 aircraft if possible. This will open up more options for you when you are ready to fly. If you canít get time in the specific make and model that you are building, itís best to get time in a similar model. For example when it comes to building a Vans aircraft, get tricycle Vans time for a tricycle gear that you are building OR tailwheel Vans time for a tailwheel model you are building. Let your agent know which models you have time in because some, not all, insurance companies use time in similar models interchangeably.

Another thing to be aware of, when it comes to a builders policy, you can put fuel in the tank and start the engine. Just remember builders policies are always for ďNot In MotionĒ under their own power, so if the aircraft gets away from you itís not covered.

Leah Ringeisen, Katie Escalante & Kim Schuler
Gallagher Aviation
877-475-5860
Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft / www.ajg.com
Opinions and advice provided by Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. is not intended to be, and should not be construed to be, legal advice. Please direct any request for legal advice to your attorney.
*paid advertiser
Old 09-17-2021, 08:41 PM

Thank you as always with helping keep our community informed. I appreciate it.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)
Old 09-18-2021, 03:03 AM

Title is misleading. "DID YOU KNOW there may be training requirements to fly your builders project?" There are no training requirements to fly the airplane, only possible requirements for insurance coverage.

Others may have differing opinions, but even if I was looking to change insurance agents, I would avoid any company with that kind of a shabby come-on.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 09-18-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Title is misleading. "DID YOU KNOW there may be training requirements to fly your builders project?" There are no training requirements to fly the airplane, only possible requirements for insurance coverage.

Others may have differing opinions, but even if I was looking to change insurance agents, I would avoid any company with that kind of a shabby come-on.
Pretty harsh!

The folks at Gallagher have been around RVís for many, many years trying to help us navigate through the minefield of ever changing insurance policies. Leah, as usual is putting out excellent information for our general knowledge of how to not get burned by doing something that negates coverage.

To imply she is trying to scam us with the wording is a bit overboard I think. We have for years had training requirements from insurance companies is most categories of aircraft, and knowing who this thread was started by negates any possibility of a shabby come on.

Come on, Ed!

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2022

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 09-18-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:

I am not sure that reply is fair. I highly doubt more than 1 or 2% of the RV population flys without some type of Liability insurance. Therefore it is fair to make that claim. Clearly this post was intended to help and not some type shabby come on.

Larry
Old 09-18-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:

???...trying to understand what the "shabby come-on" is.

Gallagher is a pretty well-known insurance broker and this is the first derogatory comment I've ever seen regarding them. I've also worked with Leah on my own policies and have universally found her to be proactive, helpful, straightforward, and honorable.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff
Old 09-18-2021, 11:29 AM

It would be pretty easy to say "...there may be training requirements to <b>insure</b> your builders project for flight." , or "to assure coverage of your build when flying" or any number of other ways of saying it.

I too found the title misleading or at least inaccurate. Insurance is not a requirement, therefore training required for insurance coverage is not "required".
Old 09-18-2021, 12:33 PM

Iím in the Ďtoo harshí camp. This is one of those instances where a PM to the OP would almost certainly resulted in a re-write of the title.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry that you found this title to be misleading. That is not in any way what I was trying to do. I take a lot of time trying to make these little informative messages as accurate as possible. Since I am limited to how many characters I can use in the title, I try to make a quick attention grabber that best matches the information. This way everyone can learn something they may not have know about the insurance market. I apologize for the confusion.

Leah Ringeisen, Katie Escalante & Kim Schuler
Gallagher Aviation
877-475-5860
Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft / www.ajg.com
Opinions and advice provided by Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. is not intended to be, and should not be construed to be, legal advice. Please direct any request for legal advice to your attorney.
*paid advertiser

Last edited by LRingeisen : 09-18-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRingeisen View Post
I'm sorry that you found this title to be misleading. That is not in any way what I was trying to do. I take a lot of time trying to make these little informative messages as accurate as possible. Since I am limited to how many characters I can use in the title, I try to make a quick attention grabber that best matches the information. This way everyone can learn something they may not have know about the insurance market. I apologize for the confusion.
Nicely put.

Peace.

Ed
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...