- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-08-2021, 02:48 PM

Default Scheduled Ramp Check for Me!

So, I may have gotten myself into more than I bargained for.

I just flew my plane from Idaho to Michigan after phase 1 was flown off there. I want to get my Repairman Certificate so I sent an email to the local FSDO. I got a nice reply saying he would come to my hangar to meet me and check my plane and my logs - pictures. We scheduled a time and he said - maybe he could do a Ramp Check while he was there.

Well, I didnt bargain for that but I suppose it wont be a big deal since he will be checking out my plane anyway.

I am still a student pilot and have no experience with this so any hints will be appreciated!

I also want to thank Mel for sending me the form and a list of what to have ready for my Repairman Certificate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTEW.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1,009.7 KB
ID:	15605  
Flying N376E
Old 09-08-2021, 02:59 PM

Make sure you have all the ARROW documents. Have the AW cert displayed. Make sure you have your medical cert and student pilot cert. Don't show him your logbook. He can request to see it, but you don't have to have it with you. Don't answer questions he hasn't asked.

Treat it like a speeding ticket - don't admit to speeding and don't tell him about the body in the trunk. ;-)

Ed Holyoke
Old 09-08-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
Make sure you have all the ARROW documents. Have the AW cert displayed. Make sure you have your medical cert and student pilot cert. Don't show him your logbook. He can request to see it, but you don't have to have it with you. Don't answer questions he hasn't asked.

Treat it like a speeding ticket - don't admit to speeding and don't tell him about the body in the trunk. ;-)

Ed Holyoke
Don't forget about having your Operating Limitations in plane. Ensure that you have properly signed off Phase 1 in your logbook as well.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:11 PM

Default Cross country

I would be concerned that questions will be asked about the trip from Idaho to MI. If you were pilot in command were you signed off for the flight by your instructor?? Pretty unusual situation but I would be surprised if this goes well.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs14855 View Post
I would be concerned that questions will be asked about the trip from Idaho to MI. If you were pilot in command were you signed off for the flight by your instructor?? Pretty unusual situation but I would be surprised if this goes well.
I wasnt PIC. I was just in the plane! I did learn a LOT about the G3x system and all I can say is "Wow".
Flying N376E
Old 09-08-2021, 03:17 PM

Thats a good looking 9A, I just got my repairman cert. today through the Grand Rapids Mi FSDO, it was really easy and the FSDO inspector was a pleasure to work with her.
I'm not sure about the ramp check but like others said make sure you have all your paperwork in order.
RV8 N848DW. Ser#83830 done.
James Cowl
DAR inspection on 7-23-2021
First flight on 7-25-2021
Phase 2 on 9-3-2021
Old 09-08-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Weisgerber View Post
Thats a good looking 9A, I just got my repairman cert. today through the Grand Rapids Mi FSDO, it was really easy and the FSDO inspector was a pleasure to work with her.
I'm not sure about the ramp check but like others said make sure you have all your paperwork in order.
Dave, Your plane looks great. Good colors form what I can see in the tiny picture!

My paint job looks better in photos than in person!! I hope to do a lot of stripping and sanding this winter and get it repainted by a professional. I wrongly thought that since I had painted everything from metal doors to cabinets that I could paint a plane. I was wrong! If I had used my old pressure pot I may have had a chance but there would have been about $3k in paint in the hose!!

Let me know if you are looking for a place to fly and head over to KTEW.
Flying N376E
Old 09-08-2021, 03:36 PM

These days, you should probably get yourself a LODA. Either you or your CFI should have a LODA when you are receiving any instruction in your E-AB.

ps -- Your new plane looks great! Enjoy!!
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,070+ hours (as of Sep 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2022.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:42 PM

he probably needs a couple ramp checks a month to meet his quota. it's going to be a "twofer".

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 09-08-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
These days, you should probably get yourself a LODA. Either you or your CFI should have a LODA when you are receiving any instruction in your E-AB.

ps -- Your new plane looks great! Enjoy!!
Both of us have a LODA. Crazy we need one but got it anyway.
Flying N376E