- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:46 AM

Default Jan Bussell

Iím sorry to have to pass this on. From Janís widow, Joyce Bussell, Jan passed away recently from leukemia. I know a lot of you received your RV checkout from Jan in Okeechobee, FL. Jan was a big guy. I remember many years ago he showed up in my hangar in Vero Beach because he wanted to see if he would fit in an RV-6 that he was thinking of acquiring. He ended up getting two, a -6 and a -6A. He may have built one, I donít remember now, it was a long time ago. Joyce wanted me to mention that Jan is going to be cremated and his ashes spread over the runway at Okeechobee. Funeral arrangements were made at Buxton & Bass in Okeechobee.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Builder & Avionics Installer)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 09-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info, Pat.

I did my transition training with Jan and thoroughly enjoyed it.

May he rest in peace.

Rob
N706DR
RV-7A
Old 09-04-2021, 12:09 PM

Default Jan

I got my transition training from Jan almost two years ago. His demonstration of what a 6A could really do and scared the **** out of me but made me a better pilot and gave me the confidence I needed. He also demonstrated the perfect impossible turn for me.
The RV community has lost a valuable asset to flight safety .
Rest In Peace Jan.

Last edited by NYTOM : 09-05-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:40 PM

I took a IFR currency check with him. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Jan helped a lot of people. An exceptional human being.

I went to Jupiter High School in Florida and there were three instructors that help form my advancement to independence and employment. In the ninth grade, around 1969 Jan Bussell was my "Power mechanics" teacher and he and I performed a valve job on an old Nash. We ground the valves and he showed me how to lap the valve's in and tell if its done correctly. This would repeat many times during engine work, whether an auto or an aircraft engine over many years.

Jan's father "Cary" was my guidance counselor at JHS. Both men were compassionate humans with a strong faith always willing to help their students.

After working in aircraft mechanics profession for several years I attended Palm Beach Junior College and took flight simulation courses where Jan was teaching, later I would pursue multi engine training and took lessons from my "ole shop teacher" in N64M, a 1955 Piper Apache that Jan ended up selling to me after I got my AMEL ticket, this allowed me to built up necessary multi engine flight time required for a commercial flying job.

Recently after not seeing Jan in many years I went out to visit with him, approximately 6 weeks ago. It was really nice to visit with a man whom taught me more than the other instructors at JHS. I tried to let him know how much he meant to me, that I was able to have a career in Aviation because of him.
I retired from American Airlines as a pilot in 2020. (US Air pilot)

From what I know, he spent his entire professional life in the education of people. A remarkable humble kind soul and those that knew Jan will agree. He prepared many a RV pilot, He told me he had spent 4300 hours teaching in the RV6.
I guess thats a milestone not repeated.

RIP Jan.

Doug Bent
Stuart, FL
Old 09-04-2021, 01:03 PM

Default Jan

Jan gave my wife, Judie and I several hours of dual in the 6A for her and the 6 for me. He was remarkable and very giving. We both attended his classes at Sun n Fun. He will be missed. Gone West, but not forgotten.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
ATP/FE/CFI 10 Type Ratings.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:29 PM

I did my, ď do I really want to buy an RV 6a/ insurance requirement ď checkout with Jan. What a nice guy. 10 minutes after takeoff from his grass strip, I told him Iím sold we can go back now..... We proceeded to OCH and did countless landings. He taught me the parameters to RTB on takeoff with an engine failure.

On subsequent landing , it was smooth and not a bounce, .....Flat tire. Whoops. Pushed it off into grass , borrowed a truck, drove to his house and got tools etc etc. I wanted to video this in the field tire change, because I knew I would not remember how to do it later. Almost a dead battery on phone. No joy.

Flew back to his grass strip at dusk and he signed me off, I actually wanted to go back for more the next day but all squares filled and could get out a day early and start shopping.

RIP.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:40 PM

Jan did my transition training about 3 years ago. A very nice man, and a knowledgeable teacher.

Tailwinds my friend.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:12 PM

Jan taught me how to fly a tailwheel. Such a great instructor and a very nice man. He will be missed.
RV6 - N86TF
SunDog Powered Parachute - N75372
Dues Paid 11/2020
Old 09-04-2021, 03:28 PM

Default Jan

Jan gave me my BFR in Feb. 2020. I was hoping to see him again in Feb. 2022.

He was a gifted instructor, and will be missed.