Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:39 PM

Default Recommendations on spray gun

So Iím on my second spray gun ,, been buying cheap tools up to this point

Iím sure its my inexperience on cleaning a gun but ive tried different ways with same results ..

Iím using the Stewart Eko prime and i get about 3 good priming sessions out of the gun and it quits spraying ,,

Today it sprayed perfect for one aileron and went to do the second and it clogged up again ,,i cleaned the gun with thinner sprayed some thinner through the gun and it was spraying fine , fill it back up with primer and no bueno was instantly clogged

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Iím using a spray gun from manards but ready to try a something else at this point
Old 05-25-2021, 05:51 PM

Are you using a paint strainer, maybe it contaminants in the paint.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:15 PM

You ne if you were not already doing so, need to unscrew the cap and take the nozzle out that the cap holds on and clean it very thoroughly. DeVilbiss finish line 4 is a quality gun for under a couple hundred bucks. Paint is very expensive. And the effort it takes to reprep a surface is frustrating to say the least. I would spend the money and get a quality gun.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:24 PM

Default Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansconvert View Post
You ne if you were not already doing so, need to unscrew the cap and take the nozzle out that the cap holds on and clean it very thoroughly. DeVilbiss finish line 4 is a quality gun for under a couple hundred bucks. Paint is very expensive. And the effort it takes to reprep a surface is frustrating to say the least. I would spend the money and get a quality gun.
What he ^ said.
Disassemble and thoroughly clean the gun every session. Stuff builds up in the tip real fast. I neglected itba session or two and removed a big doughnut shaped wad 1/8" thick. It should be nice and shiny inside. Check the needle. Check the nozzle too. Lots of tiny holes to direct the fan. They all need to be clear or the fan will spray crooked.
I really like my DeVilbiss FLG, but today I bought a Harbor Fright Black Widow HTE. Dang thing is a work of art. Can't wait to try it. It's a copy of the SATA 5000 ($999) gun.
By the way, they are on sale till end of the week.
https://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-...gun-56153.html

3M PPS cups have a built in strainer. I use 6oz 200 micron.

Last, use a quality regulator at the gun. Inuse an RTI Mini 1/4". Hose from compressor feediing the air/oil separator then regulator at the gun.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 05-25-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:33 PM

I recently upgraded to the Devilbiss Finish Line 4 from their Starting Line gun when my skill level finally outgrew the SLG. The FLG4 is awesome, much better pattern than the SLG. They all demand proper cleaning. Pull the needle and nozzle. I use the Dekups system, disposable measuring cups and a squeeze bottle with MEK. The combo makes cleanup a breeze and minimal solvent needed.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - first flight 5/6/2021
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project in progress
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 05-25-2021, 08:52 PM

Paint strainers can be had pretty cheap on Amazon. Itís always good to use one, especially for primer. The solids in primer are not ground as fine as paint. A good clean after you spray also goes a long way. I like to pour a little thinner in a mixing cup and put the air cap in it while I clean the rest of the gun. When thatís done Iíll give the air cap a good brushing and then wipe it down with a clean paper towel.

A good inexpensive paint gun that I like is the Devilbiss FLG5. Itís about $140 from spraygunsdirect. For an extra hundred you can get a Devilbiss GPi. Itís a pro level gun at a reasonable price.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:52 PM

Default Gun cleaning

Great tips and great advise , pretty sure it has to be in my cleaning stage ,, Iíll disassemble the gun tomorrow to clean internal parks ,, down side of the situation is Iím about out of primer and my order is on back order like everything else these days , I did purchase to the ratttle can for a back up but prefer not to mix match primer colors
Old 05-26-2021, 05:19 AM

Default Prime

When the gun works i gets good results
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	679B6F09-2196-4000-83D8-232DBB3AA76A.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	11954  
Old 05-26-2021, 05:53 AM

Default 3M Accuspray

I used a 3M Accuspray for my primer. If gun is clogging, perhaps you can switch to larger sized spray tip (comes with 1.2mm - 1.8mm tips). Clean up is the easiest of any sprayer I've ever used. You can throw tip away (disposable) or, clean and reuse. Thorough cleaning after use takes about 3 minutes (at most).

https://www.amazon.com/3M-26580-Accu...2029515&sr=8-6
2021 Oshkosh Bronze Lindy

1st Flight 08/20/2020
Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 05-26-2021, 06:26 AM

Default Cheap HVLP Spray Gun

I've had good luck with the inexpensive purple HF HVLP Spray Gun. Cleaning prior to first use and after each use is important. The tip is VERY hard to remove the first time. There are some good videos on YouTube on cleaning, setup and use. Good Luck!
KCXO Conroe, Texas
RV-10: Under Construction
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=wcooper

Last edited by Moresushi : 05-26-2021 at 07:02 AM.