VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #51  
Old 06-09-2022, 08:46 PM
Bavafa Bavafa is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
Here's my new S10 housing with an oil vent (the reusable version of poking a nail in the filter). Beautiful craftsmanship.
I think I will need this to be explained to me. What is the intent for this hole?
__________________
Mehrdad
N825SM RV7A - IO360M1B - SOLD
N825MS RV14A - IO390 - SOLD
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-10-2022, 08:32 AM
rongawer rongawer is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
I think I will need this to be explained to me. What is the intent for this hole?
The main intent of it is to minimize oil mess during changes. It does this by providing a vent port, or vacuum breaker, if installed with the port facing upward, or a drain port with the port facing down. If installed horizontally, it still provides a vent port, but may or may not be worth it to you. In all cases, it allows you to drain the oil from the filter in a controlled manner.

I experience essentially no oil dripped on the engine at change.

The port threads are 7/16-20 and work with an AN814-4 plug which has an o-ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AN814-8D.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	26865  
__________________
Ron Gawer

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-10-2022, 09:12 AM
Bavafa Bavafa is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
The main intent of it is to minimize oil mess during changes. It does this by providing a vent port, or vacuum breaker, if installed with the port facing upward, or a drain port with the port facing down. If installed horizontally, it still provides a vent port, but may or may not be worth it to you. In all cases, it allows you to drain the oil from the filter in a controlled manner.

I experience essentially no oil dripped on the engine at change.

The port threads are 7/16-20 and work with an AN814-4 plug which has an o-ring.
Nice mod and thanks for explaining. Are you planning on putting a safety wire on the plug?
This looks like it was machined to accommodate for the o-ring.
__________________
Mehrdad
N825SM RV7A - IO360M1B - SOLD
N825MS RV14A - IO390 - SOLD
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-10-2022, 03:58 PM
rongawer rongawer is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Nice mod and thanks for explaining. Are you planning on putting a safety wire on the plug?
This looks like it was machined to accommodate for the o-ring.
I do safety wire the plug through the filter housing to the filter base, same piece of wire...easy.

I do it out of habit, although I've never actually had an oil filter come loose on anything I've installed one on, including an enduro bike which gets much more vibration and pounding than any airplane ever will...but that's a topic for the "to safety wire, or not to safety wire your oil filter" debate list and probably not what you're asking.

The plug opening is in fact machined for an o-ring. It was milled to the dimensional standard for an AN814-4 plug, but not anything I take credit for - I bought it from K&P Engineering that way. (usaoilfilters.com)
__________________
Ron Gawer

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-08-2022, 03:19 PM
Utah-Jay Utah-Jay is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Heber City
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Thanks.... You just saved me $30.00 and free shipping.....
I see the ECU ships with the nipple, which I don’t need? I am using an Airwolf remote setup what has the male threaded for the filter to screw on already
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	469B98AE-4B77-4D2D-AA80-E997AC8292DF.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	715.7 KB
ID:	27895  
__________________
Bearhawk Companion QB Builder
Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
https://www.instagram.com/jay_townsend_utah/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Last edited by Utah-Jay : 07-08-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-08-2022, 04:36 PM
GaryK's Avatar
GaryK GaryK is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Zeeland, Michigan
Posts: 417
Default

Ron,
Do you have the part number for the O-Ring used on the AN814-4 Plug. I like the idea of draining the oil in a controlled fashion.

Thanks
Gary
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-10-2022, 01:12 PM
rongawer rongawer is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
Ron,
Do you have the part number for the O-Ring used on the AN814-4 Plug. I like the idea of draining the oil in a controlled fashion.

Thanks
Gary
The o-ring is 3/8" ID and 1/16" width. MS28775-012 is the right PN.

The controlled drain is definitely nice; little to none oil drips.
__________________
Ron Gawer

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.

Last edited by rongawer : 07-10-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-10-2022, 04:55 PM
Flyyak Flyyak is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Birmingham alabama
Posts: 159
Default S15 and McMasters Carr nipple

So I understand that S15 and a 3/4 16 nipple will be the unit for a lycoming 0360. Will one of these McMaster Carr nipples work and if so what is better or does it matter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	691A10B3-7C51-4286-9AC0-DFA822B5B6CD.png
Views:	15
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	28006  Click image for larger version

Name:	A374A496-B761-40B9-B031-3D0AFC277441.png
Views:	15
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	28007  
__________________
Flyyak
RV 7 with 350
I0360
G3X touch & G5
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-10-2022, 05:11 PM
dpansier's Avatar
dpansier dpansier is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Green Bay, WI (GRB)
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyyak View Post
So I understand that S15 and a 3/4 16 nipple will be the unit for a lycoming 0360. Will one of these McMaster Carr nipples work and if so what is better or does it matter?
The two examples shown will not work as they are NPT threads, the filter requires a 3/4-16 straight thread nipple.
__________________
Don Pansier
Green Bay, WI (GRB)
RV-7


Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-11-2022, 03:21 AM
rv8ch's Avatar
rv8ch rv8ch is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LSGY
Posts: 4,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpansier View Post
The two examples shown will not work as they are NPT threads, the filter requires a 3/4-16 straight thread nipple.
You can buy one here, or cut one out of an existing oil filter.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=1234
__________________
Mickey Coggins

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.