- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:10 AM

Default So far, good

625hrs on my cermanil cylinders. If I run the oil at 6qt - not the full 10qt the engine will hold - I get 10-12hrs/qt on a TCM 550. While the TCM series of engines is not known for good cylinder compression checks, mine are in the upper 70s with one at 80. I would say these cyls might go to TB if those numbers hold up.

The SC 550 that will go in the next project was one of the last set of cyls built up by ECI before they shut down. I hope those perform in a similar manner.

BTW had a C-45 for a while - those engines were certainly OH?d (repeatedly?) thru their life - had 78/80 in all 9 cyls at 700hrs on one engine. No filters on that installation - I?d call that exceptional. I changed that engine at 1000hrs as recommended, tho it was still running strong.

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 11-27-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
The engine in the Valkyrie (my RV-8) was built in early 2005 out of all ECI components, and has been one of the smoothest running engines I have ever flown behind (others have remarked on that ? it?s not just me!). Smooth and powerful - but it has never had what I would call ?great? oil consumption ? the best being about 8 hours to the quart, the average being closer to 6.5 hrs/quart. While the engine has continued to run great, the past year has seen increased oil consumption and, more recently, decreasing compression. I finally decided to go ahead and pull the jugs and do at least a re-ringing job.

After discussions with several cylinder shops and engine builders, I decided to take the recommendations of some trusted guys, and go ahead and replace the jugs. The determining factor was the reluctance of shops to hone the nickel cylinders, and the fact that once a jug goes into the shop, it really needs to be checked out completely ? and with that many hours, it is pretty normal to need some valve and/or piston work ? things can add up quickly, and the price of new cylinders just isn?t that much. I decided to go straight to four new jugs.

Anyway, I am curious how others have done with their Cerminil cylinders. I expect that I might be near the high end of hours on a set, but would love to hear how many others have on theirs to date, and if they are still going strong ? or when they had to be replaced.

1450 hours on mine, and going to retire them.

Paul
see this tread http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ht=wobble+test.

Mine lasted 1400 hrs. everything was good except one valve was out of spec and the other 5 were at limit. Replaced them all with Millinum, just to try a different product.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:16 PM

Default 1875

Updating an old thread;

1875 hours on my ECI cylinders, and methinks they need help.

These particular jugs were manufactured in 1995 by Lycoming and run for 1660 hours on a Geronimo Apache before I bought it in 2005. I had it field overhauled with the Lyc jugs getting the ECI Cerminil treatment and then hung it on the RV for the current 1875 hour run. I've had no real issues with 'em other than a stuck exhaust valve six years ago, but as Paul noted on the original post, the oil consumption has crept up; it started out using a quart every 10 hours, but has been slowly creeping up to using a quart every 4 hours. Compressions have been good, but recently I noticed some leakage through the valves and rings; the latest compression check had #4 holding but 10 psi and a tornado blowing out the exhaust. Yep, that valve is done. Time to yank 'em all.

So, I thought I'd source a new set of Milleniums and keep on trucking, but nay, it was not meant to be! Apparently new cylinders are pretty much unobtainium right now with several month back orders everywhere I inquired. Now what? I'll try to get these overhauled; my local shop here in Houston likes J&J Airparts near San Antonio, but, J&J wouldn't touch the Cerminils for rework/repair. Next call was to Sal's Cylinders up in Prosper, TX. Yep, he says, bring 'em up. So, I'm gonna have Sal have a look at them and cross my fingers...

I'd prefer to go with all new jugs, but, if I can get another 1000 hours (10 years?) out of these I'll be happy, then maybe splurge on a shiny new engine.
1875 hrs
Houston, TX
Old 01-21-2022, 03:02 AM

i do have now 160 hours on my nickel plated ECI titan cylinders... not the high time Paul was asking for. but looks good so far. after brake in the oil consumption stabilized at around 7 hours / quart. not great but ok for me.

it seems to me that a common problem that could appear on these cylinders is delamination of the nickel surface. is there anything we can do during normal operation to lower the likelihood of that problem?

i only understood that low CHT's might be a good thing in this regard.

Last edited by KayS : 01-21-2022 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbDC9 View Post
So, I thought I'd source a new set of Milleniums and keep on trucking, but nay, it was not meant to be! Apparently new cylinders are pretty much unobtainium right now with several month back orders everywhere I inquired.
I have 4 Millenium power assemblies on back order for a couple months now from AirPower with an estimated shipping date sometime in the spring. Last week I was notified by AirPower that for the first time Superior was not going to honor order time pricing on back ordered parts, and distributors will be charged with the latest pricing increase when they ship. I don't blame them for doing this considering the supply chain issues and wild inflation we are going through now. I am thankful that a later shipping date does not effect progress on my project. I would hate it if I needed them today.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction/Sold 2021
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 01-21-2022, 08:17 AM

I have friends looking for cylinders. They seem to be impossible to find. Anyone who suspects they will be needing new cylinders should get them on order soon. Overhaul shops are also back logged.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:38 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbDC9 View Post
Updating an old thread;

1875 hours on my ECI cylinders, and methinks they need help.

These particular jugs were manufactured in 1995 by Lycoming and run for 1660 hours on a Geronimo Apache before I bought it in 2005. I had it field overhauled with the Lyc jugs getting the ECI Cerminil treatment and then hung it on the RV for the current 1875 hour run. I've had no real issues with 'em other than a stuck exhaust valve six years ago, but as Paul noted on the original post, the oil consumption has crept up; it started out using a quart every 10 hours, but has been slowly creeping up to using a quart every 4 hours. Compressions have been good, but recently I noticed some leakage through the valves and rings; the latest compression check had #4 holding but 10 psi and a tornado blowing out the exhaust. Yep, that valve is done. Time to yank 'em all.

So, I thought I'd source a new set of Milleniums and keep on trucking, but nay, it was not meant to be! Apparently new cylinders are pretty much unobtainium right now with several month back orders everywhere I inquired. Now what? I'll try to get these overhauled; my local shop here in Houston likes J&J Airparts near San Antonio, but, J&J wouldn't touch the Cerminils for rework/repair. Next call was to Sal's Cylinders up in Prosper, TX. Yep, he says, bring 'em up. So, I'm gonna have Sal have a look at them and cross my fingers...

I'd prefer to go with all new jugs, but, if I can get another 1000 hours (10 years?) out of these I'll be happy, then maybe splurge on a shiny new engine.
Interesting history John - in the case that started this thread, I had actually talked to Sal, and at least at that time, he said he had a pile of junk Cerminil cylinders out in the grass behind his shop that he wouldnít/couldnít work on because of the surface treatment.

All the cylinders Iíve used since have been genuine plain-jane nitrided Lycomings - they break in fast and easy, and just keep workingÖ.but I havenít tired to buy any recently!

Iíve got to wonder how engine build shops are surviving with the parts shortages - you canít finish an engine unless you have ALL the bits and pieces, and you canít get paid if you canít roll engines out the doorsÖ.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-10-2022, 07:02 PM

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
I have 4 Millenium power assemblies on back order for a couple months now from AirPower with an estimated shipping date sometime in the spring. Last week I was notified by AirPower that for the first time Superior was not going to honor order time pricing on back ordered parts, and distributors will be charged with the latest pricing increase when they ship. I don't blame them for doing this considering the supply chain issues and wild inflation we are going through now. I am thankful that a later shipping date does not effect progress on my project. I would hate it if I needed them today.
Just an update that I received my Superior cylinder power assemblies today from AirPower.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:07 AM

Question Perspiring minds want to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
Just an update that I received my Superior cylinder power assemblies today from AirPower.
Dave,
Would you mind divulging what they charged you for the cylinders?

Charlie Kuss [rhymes with puss. German word for kiss]
Old 02-13-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskuss View Post
Dave,
Would you mind divulging what they charged you for the cylinders?

Charlie Kuss [rhymes with puss. German word for kiss]
Sure, $1257.00 per power assembly. Free shipping.