What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking to volunteer at EAA AirVenture 2022

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I arrive on the 22nd and leave on the 31st and would have some time to help out if anyone needs a volunteer. Prefer to work in the mornings since I'll have jet lag and will wake up early, but I'm flexible. I'll also have a car and will be staying in the dorms. I can fix stuff, like airplanes, and other things. I'm also ok at computers. I'm in good shape, and can stand and walk for hours. I avoid lifting things that are heavy. If there's a role that requires me to sit on a lawn chair, watch landings, and sip iced tea, that will also be fine! :D Thanks!

We can always use help at the Sheet Metal workshop. We have classes at 8:30 in the morning and 1:00 in the afternoon. Check in at the Builders Education Center in the Homebuilt area.

Volunteering at OSH 2022

If you want to come down and hang out with some really cool older airplanes and really cool people (of all ages!) we can always use help down in Vintage. There are Volunteer Booths in front of The Vintage Red Barn where you can sign up and they can tell you where you might be needed.

Our volunteers do a lot! From riding scooters to park airplanes to crossing guards. We manage the taxiway intersections and usher airplanes from the runway onto the taxiways and get them pointed in the right direction. We are the go-between from the North 40 (spam cans) to the South 40 (more spam cans....also know as GAC).

We work closely with Ultralights, Rotory, Warbirds, Custom, AIC, Air Show, GAC and the tower. We manage the crowds during the airshows. We are the usual staging area for the Flight Reviews. We help manage the Twilight Flightfest during the evening show in the Ultralight area: STOL competition, Power gliders etc. We may be the most busy area on the field: we have 3.5 miles of flight line. There is ALWAYS something to do! We usually have over 200 volunteers working just the Flight Line duties.

Come on down to where The Fun Is! A word of caution: Volunteering can be fiercely addicting!! This will be my 35th year!

This will be my 35th year!

Sincere congrats Michael, all my thumbs up!
Been more than 15 times at Oshkosh (stopped counting a while ago…) myself, and always stood in awe at the organization, and above all, the volunteers.

Well done gals and guys, and thanks !

OSH Volunteers

Sincere congrats Michael, all my thumbs up!
Been more than 15 times at Oshkosh (stopped counting a while ago…) myself, and always stood in awe at the organization, and above all, the volunteers.

Well done gals and guys, and thanks !

Thanks, Dan!

Ours is a well-oiled machine that has been developed and progressively improved over many years of work, involving many people. It is also amazing how we have developed the relationships we have with the other divisions as well as Air Show, OSH Tower, Papa Taxiway and the different intersections. We have an AMAZING group of folks that just keep coming back every year and new people that hear about what an great time we all have. We have so many duties we HAVE to be good to make it work! Things usually flow so well that we make it look easy! But it is NOT easy and every year is different! You couldn't PAY me enough to do this job!:D

The airplanes are cool.....but most of us come back for the PEOPLE! It actually surprises me that people keep coming back year after year. There are volunteers in our area that have been volunteering since Rockford!

As we depart the pattern flying home after Convention is over, exhausted, we are all counting the days until we can come back next year!

Volunteer!

Just to close the loop on this request - I did exactly as Michael "Antique Denver" suggested, and volunteered with the "Vintage" team. It was more than awesome!

Such a good time with great people! Very professional induction, training, even a written manual on "how to do it."

As Denver said, there are lots of roles, so no doubt there is something for you next year, so start thinking about it - I know I am!

Thanks Denver for the invite - it was great to meet you and the rest of the team, and if you'll have me, I'll be back!

(I even made it onto one of the official EAA Youtube videos - I'm the goofy guy in the blue shirt, but I feel like a star! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iBveuuOrLw&t=3433s)

Volunteering at OSH.....no, at Vintage!

Just to close the loop on this request - I did exactly as Michael "Antique Denver" suggested, and volunteered with the "Vintage" team. It was more than awesome!

Such a good time with great people! Very professional induction, training, even a written manual on "how to do it."

As Denver said, there are lots of roles, so no doubt there is something for you next year, so start thinking about it - I know I am!

Thanks Denver for the invite - it was great to meet you and the rest of the team, and if you'll have me, I'll be back!

(I even made it onto one of the official EAA Youtube videos - I'm the goofy guy in the blue shirt, but I feel like a star! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iBveuuOrLw&t=3433s)

Mickey: It was GREAT to have you come over this year and volunteer with our amazing group of people! I have had numerous requests over the years and, mostly, they don't show up. But you did!

Mickey jumped right in and was helping us from nearly the first day he was there. There are a variety of volunteer activities and he was in the middle of most of them. There is one taxiway intersection (Classic Intersection) that may well be the busiest and scariest for a newbe on the field. He was right there swinging and doing very well! He also was on scooters helping us put the over 1430 airplanes into their parking spots during the Convention. He appeared to be having a great time and I never saw him without a smile on his face!

Mickey: it was great to meet you as well. Of COURSE we will welcome you back next year. There is really no better way to experience OSH than by volunteering! We had over 340 people train to be on the flightline this year; nearly a record!

Thanks for all your help and we will be looking forward to seeing you in 2023! And anyone else who would like to be Part of the Team!

Back