Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2021, 01:57 PM

Look at NFlight mound as well: good stuff.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:14 AM

I see that there are a few reports of people using the fold down legs on the GoPro up to Vne. Itís good to hear they hold up at speed.

Are you using any other special mounting hardware? Do you use the plastic hardware thatís included with the camera to mount it to the airplane, or something more robust?

Iíve seen aluminum frames that wrap around the camera, and aluminum forks (not sure what theyíre actually called) that the cameras fold down legs slides into. Iím wondering if this is necessary. I REALLY donít want to lose a brand new camera, but at the same time, Iím looking for the simplest solution. I want to film aerobatics (up to Vne) from outside the cockpit. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:22 PM

I use a RockSteady mount for InstaOne and GoPro cameras, mounts readily to the wingtip screws or inspection panels. Rather then relying on the plastic “flip down” mounting case, I opted for an aluminum one. It’s a very solid mount. I don’t know if it’s more solid than necessary. I didn’t want to take chances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0F51C3F-DB99-424E-AD59-E457C7B274F1.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	27710  Click image for larger version

Name:	E05D8474-01CC-415B-9E59-F71EEA098CD7.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	27712  
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 07-02-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I use a RockSteady mount for InstaOne and GoPro cameras, mounts readily to the wingtip screws or inspection panels. Rather then relying on the plastic ďflip downĒ mounting case, I opted for an aluminum one. Itís a very solid mount. I donít know if itís more solid than necessary. I didnít want to take chances.
I have that flush mount also, and I had a similar frame for an older GoPro.
Iím wondering if that is necessary. I feel as though the additional weight of the beefed up frame adds stress under G load. Like you, I donít want to lose the camera, so Iím trying to find a balance between strength and weight.

I guess what Iím asking is if anyone is using just the provided GoPro mounts that are plastic while doing aerobatics. Maybe Stu will chime in as he does a lot of filming, and aerobatics too.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:10 AM

I get questions like this pretty often so I created a little video of the mounting of my multi-camera setup - here.

New information since the video... I had one of the GoPro mounts crack recently. It was on my vertical stab mount and was one of the three little fingers thru which the fastener goes. The camera remained in place.

I'm of the opinion that the vertical fin mounted camera take a bit of a beating. The air loads are sufficient that it will 'push back' if not firmly snugged down and on rough airstrips, it gets jostled a fair bit. Probably not worse than mounted to a mountain bike though. I don't think the gentleman acro that I do creates any significant loads on the cameras.

Someone asked about vne. I've never ran that fast with the cameras mounted.
http://jdfinley.com
Videos
Old 07-03-2022, 06:14 AM

Thanks for that. Good information.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:21 AM

For anyone else who may have similar questions. I found one of Stuís videos to be helpful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wTIukl-tdXc