- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:02 AM

Default EMS D-10 warning light

I'm replacing a bunch of engine round gages with a Dynon EMS D-10. I'm in the final wiring stage now and I noticed there is an option to install a warning light that basically lets you know that an engine operating parameter has been exceeded. You then acknowledge it on the EMS and the light goes out.

I'd like to hear if any others have installed this and your thoughts on it's operation before I cut a hole in the new panel for the warning light. In a RV-8, it would seem to me that the panel is close enough that you would notice an alarm flashing on the EMS itself without having another light on the panel.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:54 AM

FWIW, I installed the light in my panel and think it was a good idea. Do you absolutely need it? Probably not. But it was such an easy thing to do and to me adds a tiny bit of additional safety so I felt it was worth it. Here is a photo of my panel where you can see the red external alarm light(s) above the display next to my tail number.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021 Panel.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	20035

BTW it works very well.
2022 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 12-23-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:37 AM

Nice thing about the light is it brings your attention to the 'exception' your regular scan may skip, that's the whole purpose of having the monitor, let it work for you.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:41 PM

Pondered this too when I added an EMS-D10. Is the warning light really necessary when thereís probably going to be a message on the screen anyway?

Glad I went ahead and added the warning light. Itís helpful in formation or when you need to be heads-up.

Really gets your attention, so I make a point of briefing my passengers to avoid scaring them. But that might be less of an issue in an 8.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:27 AM

The problem comes when you have a sensor going bad, if it is impossible permanently to shut the thing up: now you have 2 things flashing the rest of the flight.

My original panel had an Advanced Flight Systems EMS (best EMS I have ever seen). It had a "Bitch'in Betty" oral warning and flashing both. Acknowledge button only shut the alert down for 3 minutes. Only way to completely shut it up, was to go into settings and change alert parameters.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydBirchler View Post
The problem comes when you have a sensor going bad, if it is impossible permanently to shut the thing up: now you have 2 things flashing the rest of the flight.
IMHO Quickly alerting to a possible major catastrophic event overrides a temporary and tolerable inconvenience. YMMV
2022 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 12-27-2021, 08:51 AM

I used the indicator light circuit to add a buzzer in the cockpit. IIRC, there is also an alarm buzzer in the headphones or at least I hear the tone when the switch fuel tank buzzer goes off or something goes out of spec.
3,500+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.