Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:00 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Is the LODA for the plane, or the pilot?

Laura and I are both pilots, and will be getting our BFRs in our EAB.

The application email includes my info, as well as the aircraft info-----so how is the LODA applied?

I am thinking Laura should apply also, just to be sure all bases are covered.

What say the collective intelligence?
Louise and I each sent in am email, each with the three two-seat airplanes on them (no use asking for an instructor to ride along in Tsam or Loki….).

Haven’t heard back yet, but the Reno FSDO, as nice and helpful (truly) as they are, are probably still trying to figure out their email passwords……
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-12-2021, 05:26 PM

Default Got mine too!

I received my LODA today from the Des Moines FSDO. I requested it over the weekend. I have to give them credit. It's a stupid bureaucratic move, but the FAA wasted no time giving us what we need to stay safe.
APRS track
Old 07-12-2021, 05:26 PM

Default Is LODA needed if giving a BFR and there is no compensation?

I’ve read the recently revised FAA policy a couple times but still not sure I understand all of it.

I’m a CFI and I have a couple friends that I give a Flight Review in their experimental aircraft and no money changes hands. Since no compensation is involved it doesn’t seem that a LODA is required for them or me.

Is that correct?
LAPD helicopter pilot, retired
RV6A sold
RV12 (non-builder)
Old 07-12-2021, 06:00 PM

Default Disregard earlier question in previous thread

I just saw the other 13+ pages on the other Thread on same topic..Various posts seem to indicate “no compensation, no LODA”
LAPD helicopter pilot, retired
RV6A sold
RV12 (non-builder)
Old 07-12-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabney View Post
I’ve read the recently revised FAA policy a couple times but still not sure I understand all of it.

I’m a CFI and I have a couple friends that I give a Flight Review in their experimental aircraft and no money changes hands. Since no compensation is involved it doesn’t seem that a LODA is required for them or me.

Is that correct?
At our EAA chapter meeting Saturday, my instructor pointed out that the FAA has ruled that flight time logged by the CFI in giving flight training is considered compensation to the instructor. And the defining regulation for a BFR refers to one hour of flight training.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werxcv01 View Post
At our EAA chapter meeting Saturday, my instructor pointed out that the FAA has ruled that flight time logged by the CFI in giving flight training is considered compensation to the instructor. And the defining regulation for a BFR refers to one hour of flight training.
First, is there a reference somewhere to this decision, in writing, by the FAA? And second...what if they don't log it? (Maybe they have a gazillion hours and just don't need 1 more hour of logged time for anything).
Old 07-12-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
First, is there a reference somewhere to this decision, in writing, by the FAA? And second...what if they don't log it? (Maybe they have a gazillion hours and just don't need 1 more hour of logged time for anything).
https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rtain-aircraft
Old 07-13-2021, 06:23 AM

Default Need a description of training requested?

Do we need to send in the LODA request any kind of paragraph with a description of what kind of training we will be doing or just need to send in name, address, pilot certificate number, etc?

Anybody have a sample paragraph they sent with their accepted LODA? I am surprised that EAA did not provide a sample of what needs to be sent in.
Paid dues yearly since 2007

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. —MARK TWAIN
Old 07-13-2021, 06:50 AM

Thumbs up

I requested my LODA via a single sentence followed up with the requested info outlined in the EAA communication. Received my LODA this morning from the Orlando FSDO who deserve kudos for their quick response…..!!

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island, Fl
Old 07-13-2021, 08:49 AM

I sent the request Friday morning and received the LODA today from the MKE FSDO.[/quote]

I sent my email on Friday also, but haven't heard back from MKE FSDO as of yet. Hopefully soon. Mine should be the same as yours, as I applied as an instructor rather than for a specific airplane.

Joe