What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HD wide angle video camera

groucho

Well Known Member
I've been wanting to upgrade my cockpit & tail cameras to HD for a while, but there really hasn't been an affordable solution. I just bumped into the HD Hero though. It won't work for my tailcam, but it looks like it'll work for my cockpit camera.

The only downside I see is that it doesn't have a mic input (it does have an internal mic though). At $260 that's actually cheaper than buying a standard definition wide-angle bullet camera & something to record it to.

Has anyone tried one of these yet?
http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=33

Cheers,

I have used one and they're a phenomenal value. First and foremost the picture quality is great. They're very durable and shock, temperature and moisture resistant. The company also offers lots of different mounting options which are fairly sturdy. We stuck the stock mount (sticky pad foot) onto the step of the Beech 99 at our dropzone and it captured sturdy video and didn't budge up to 170kts.
If capturing the sound is important to you, you'll have to look at other options, but I don't know anybody who's got anything bad to say about these things considering the bargain price.

Hey Bryan,

I have the Go pro that is not HD and the picture is great! The HD will be an improvement on an already wonderful product.

The link below is a little video I shot with a wing mount for my Go Pro camera on my E-LSA. This will give you a pretty good idea of the quality.

http://gallery.me.com/mmsulli/100169

Have fun!

External Microphone on HD Hero

Hi Groucho,

I believe you can add an external mic to the HD Hero - here's a description of someone doing it to the HD Contour. Voids the warranty, but since the price is right, might be worth the risk.

http://ifraggle.com/2009/07/09/tradingwarrantyforaudio/

We're all looking forward to your videos with this camera, along with the live narration!

Mickey

GoPro

I've been using the HD version for a while now. I use the headstrap for formation flying and the videos are great. If you use it in wide angle, (170 degree view) you get standard definition video. The 127 degree view is in HD.

Lots of mounting options and waterproof.

Like you say, the only drawback is the lack of a mike input. I'm going to just record out of the headset and transplant it in through editing.

Last edited:
I have been researching both the Contour and GoPro HD. In reading a bunch of stuff online a few people mentioned that the GoPro will be coming out with a wireless microphone option. I couldn't find anything on the website but they have something called a backpac which is set up for future options and they did also mention one of them currently in development is a viewing screen.

From the website:

Optional Expansion Bakpacs?

An innovative expansion port on the back of the camera, the HERO Bus? accepts optional Expansion Bakpacs to expand the functionality of HD HERO cameras:

* LCD Bakpac for on-camera preview and playback (not yet available for pre-order)
* Endurance Battery Bakpac for double battery life (not yet available for pre-order)
* More Bakpacs and expansion devices coming soon

Sean, great video. Boy, it sure is tempting. The one thing that bums me out is that you can't get 1080p in 170deg mode. 720p at 170deg is ok, but I really have fallen in love with my 170deg cameras. I may write them to see if they have a 1080p 170deg version coming out any time soon.

I've shot some 1080p wide angle flying video with my Canon 5D Mark II, but it's really too big to easily mount in the cockpit.

This reminds me...it's been a long time since I've shot any video. Gotta work on that!

Another camera to consider

I have also been looking for a camera that could shoot in cockpit video and noticed the point and shoot Canon SD3500 IS. It will take 720 HD video, is reasonably small, and would be good for general photography.

Has anyone else considered this camera?

Canon SD3500 IS

Ron
RV-8

Brian, look up @rfelty on Twitter. He's a video producer who just learned to fly about a year ago. He's been working on all kinds of different in-flight video set-ups, and can probably give you some thoughts on different cameras.

Here's one of his recent videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_FH9VQdpfo

You'll notice the left wing shots are "wobbly". I believe that's because of the camera he uses in that particular location, but not sure what kind of camera it is. I think that the "pilot" angle in the video is shot with the Flip that TODR mentions.

For inexpensive pocket cams the best I've found so far is the Kodak ZI8. It shoots HD at 720p, 720p x 60 FPS and 1080p (as wellas a dummied down format). You can swap memory cards. I'd look around before jumping on a Flip. They started the whole pocket video craze but have been supprassed in features by other brands (at least for now).

The pocket video cameras seem to be limited on wide angle capability. The Zi8 has a 35 mm equivalent focal length: 61 mm (1080p), 46 mm (720p/60 fps). I could not find the specifications for the Flip. As Bryan points out he is using a Canon 5D Mark II with a 15mm fisheye. Nice camera, but large in size and pricy. The Canon SD3500 IS is smaller, less expensive, and has a 35 mm equivalent focal length of 24 mm. This a new model just released and I was curious if anyone has tried one yet?

Ron
RV-8

True, the ZI8 is limited on wide angle (as is the Flip) but there are a series of mod's avaiable (youtube) to put on a thrid party wide angle over the top of the regualr lens. It's definilty not up to the quality of the Sony HD cam, but for $200, the quality is very good. Just another of the many options that are available.

Bob

GoPro HD Video

I finally broke down and purchased the GoPro HD Motorsports package and had a chance to fly with it on Sunday. Here is my first video using the wide angle HD setting at 720p, 30fps setting. I was a little worried about mounting it but just used the included suction cup mount mounted to the canopy and it worked out perfectly and held with no problems on the curvature. Knowing the suction cup works so well I'll be able to move it around at will. For the headband, I picked up a headlamp from the aviation section at Harbor Freight for the ridiculous price on sale of $1.99. I then proceeded to remove the offending light, file down the mounting posts, and attach one of the included mounts to the headband.

So far I'm impressed with the camera and plan it give it a good workout. I am banking on them coming out with a backpack to enable an external microphone. Worst case...I will have to add "gulp" music to the videos.

http://vimeo.com/10433077

Added some music to the same video. http://vimeo.com/10448022

Last edited:
Back