Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2022, 09:46 AM

I might be able to help - check your PMs!

Never judge a man by his trim tabs.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:38 AM

I am IFR rated, but to be honest with myself my RV-14 is going to be a fun flying sport plane for occasional cross country trips. It’s not going to be an airliner. My mission is therefore day and night VFR.

My goal is to keep it as light an simple as possible. Keep the building costs down and get the airplane finished and into the air.

The only extra I’m considering is a smoke system to make myself easier to see when the occasion calls for it.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:41 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I see Brad reached out - he’s an outstanding resource!

Another option is one of their courses:

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...51#post1637051

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-30-2022, 12:49 PM

Default Informed decisions

Selecting, installing,troubleshooting, programing and maintaining a modern suite of all glass electronic instruments is one of the more complicated and expensive tasks for the average homebuilder since there is no standard template to work from. There are a number of well represented avionic system equipment manufacturers to choose from for the experimental market. The quality of the hardware, software, functionality, documentation, support, upgradability and cost are quite varied. When considering cost one has to include the monthly or annual fees for databases, tech support, out of warranty repair, etc. Those suppliers that also produce TSO’d equipment are more likely to support the design and construction of their products with software that meets DO 178 and electronic hardware that meets DO254 standards and documentation that meets industry standards. For a day/night VFR aircraft you have a lot of viable choices other than Garmin.
Other areas to take a good look at are switches and circuit breakers. I would recommend taking a look at the NKK switch - particularly the S series. There are TE manufactured circuit breakers (approved by Cessna) from their industrial range of products that are reasonably priced and very acceptable. In my view there is no good reason to install an electronic circuit breaker system in a single engine aircraft - based on functionality and cost considerations alone, before considering, integrity and reliability. Of course if you just want to throw money at the problem………………………..

KT