- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:41 AM

Default Bye bye Rocket Steering Link

Upon the last of 5 landings from my post-mx checkout, I felt a strong and prolonged vibration from the rear that continued until I slowed to a walking pace. Inspection revealed that the steering link had sheared off as shown in the picture.
The maintenance I performed before flight simply consisted of cleaning and lubing the tailwheel axle and bronze bushing, and tightening the assembly so the steering arm was tight but the wheel still able to swivel freely 360 degrees - same as I've always done.
Has anyone experienced this before? I plan to return to the original chains-and-door-springs that worked so well before but I'm just curious. Thanks for your input.
RV7, N98DA, TMX-O360, CS, slider
2022 dues paid!
Old 11-18-2021, 06:44 AM

Iíve had two of these steering link fractures over the years. I never noticed any vibration or shimmy. I use the door springs now too. I wish the tail lynx was still available.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 11-18-2021, 07:17 AM

I can't tell for sure from the posted pic but the shape of the fracture surface and apparent lack of necking, etc. would suggest fatigue. Possible overstress but I'm doubting based on the one pic. If you'd like, I can see if our guys in the metallurgical lab can take a quick look.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:31 AM

Default Rocket Steering

I also recently had the rod end bearing sheer off in the same location. No big deal, ordered and installed a new one. It performed fine for 710 hours. Looking forward to another 700!
Sold RV-4 N22755
Awesome 4/7years
Based: KLFT
Old 11-18-2021, 08:24 AM

Default Shimmy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuura View Post
Upon the last of 5 landings from my post-mx checkout, I felt a strong and prolonged vibration from the rear that continued until I slowed to a walking pace. Inspection revealed that the steering link had sheared off as shown in the picture.
The pneumatic tailwheel and extended Bell fork seem to be more sensitive to the caster angle of the Van's yoke.

The vibration you felt was the tailwheel shimmy, which caused the rod end to fail.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:06 AM

Supports the observation and theory:

Shimmy => cycles => metal fatigue

Sounds like there's plenty of options to make this avoidable.

Last edited by Freemasm : 11-18-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:15 AM

TW Shimmy is most often a result of other than ideal castor angle.
Lesser contributors are pivot bushing slop and /or TW spring too soft or loose clamping of the leaf stack.

I have never experienced shimmy with a steering link.

On the other hand I have a Maule TW that is fine on grass, dirt or gravel but on pavement is a holy terror. I generally bring it to a stop with the tail in the air and then set it down to taxi back to the hangar on black top. The castor angle is wrong, and the leaf stack is very soft, but on grass and dirt roads it redeems itself, so I live with it.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:54 PM

Default One more for shimmy

I'll second those pointing the finger at a tailwheel shimmy event.

We collected data from a few pieces written by smarter people than me on the topic and put together this article on shimmy and what can be done to fix it: http://flyboyblog.com/2020/06/26/add...shimmy-in-rvs/

Earlier comments about the Condor2 fork presenting a shimmy issue a little more often are not wrong, though there are plenty of them flying with no issues (if it caused problems frequently, we wouldn't sell them!) As near as I can tell the main reason for the correlation is just that the tire is bigger and the fork sits higher, so it raises the tail enough to slightly change the angle into a more shimmy-prone condition.

I've kicked around the idea of making a mounting socket with a shallower angle to make an easy way to correct an assembly with a drooping caster angle, but for now, that project is on hold and the best way to handle a shimmying tailwheel may well be the rod-bending method outlined in the article above.

Cheers!
Blake

Blake Frazier
Co-owner of Flyboy Accessories
VAF Advertiser

2022 Dues Paid 1/19/22
Old 11-19-2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeFrazier View Post
I've kicked around the idea of making a mounting socket with a shallower angle to make an easy way to correct an assembly with a drooping caster angle, but for now, that project is on hold and the best way to handle a shimmying tailwheel may well be the rod-bending method outlined in the article above.
Blake, at a fly-in this summer I spent some time looking at other tailwheel aircraft, and while I'm sure that the RV style is probably the lightest, some of the others look down right space-age in comparison. I think there is room for innovation here, for sure.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Blake, at a fly-in this summer I spent some time looking at other tailwheel aircraft, and while I'm sure that the RV style is probably the lightest, some of the others look down right space-age in comparison. I think there is room for innovation here, for sure.
What do you mean space age?

2021 Dues Paid