What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting USB Holes

dwschaefer

Back working on panel .. don't mind all the big GRT holes EXCEPT the USB holes .. never can get them to look great. Anyone got any good ideas how to cut these well? I always use a very small file .. but with 090 it's a real pain and never straight.

Thanks..
DWS

I'm no where near up to this, and don't know the dimensions for the USB, except for looking at the back of my computer and guessing. But I saw very recently someone had done some narrow rectangular slots by using a Dremel with a router bit. You can get various sizes so I imagine you could do that and just square off the corners with a file?? Assuming of course you have, or have access to, a Dremel. When I saw what was done, and knowing I want to put USB in the panel, that was the technique that I thought I would explore for that purpose when I got there.

DAZ

How about these?

A bit larger than needed for this but they are pretty and fairly easy to install, 7/8" hole if I remember correctly. I use them at work for racks from time to time.

You can cut a USB hole with nothing more than a drill and a file, in a painted, finished panel, in the airplane. Patience, patience.....

Nibbler is too big, if you are trying for a minimum sized hole.

I drilled a couple holes at the ends of where I wanted the slot, used a coping saw to open up the slot, and a file to finish it off.

Works well.

iEGiY7NBRnZD937Ly7PZZEtSw8ofKTzh-dnidhWl1CoNsohZDVI0zRf7I9ZNiyHu4zklBeFX2fbJmPsFBNa2MvbzHam0g2wLl6R_pxtRWMe0455qkjl15syfwsVrgLpSURK7h_bVqrFpzMIrm_upAF3pLooV3XU

P2030032.jpg

Last edited:
End Mill

I used a mill and a 1/4" bit to cut a 1/4 by .530" slot. Male USB slips right in.

Image below shows 2 slots just to the left of the EIS.

8278665334c5f5c0c84fef.jpg

Back