Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2022, 08:14 AM

Lurking, good info here. About to do this on my -14 spars, so this is synchronicity at its finest.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyconnell View Post
Lurking, good info here. About to do this on my -14 spars, so this is synchronicity at its finest.
I'm jealous that you're building a 14. I'm building a 7A, which I'm sure I'll be happy with when I'm done. But at times, the directions leave a lot to be desired. I made numerous phone calls, texts and did a ton of online research trying to figure out how to countersink these nut plates without muffing up my spars. In the end, I'm using a diagram from the 14 instructions and an article from a 2005 edition of the RVator as my guide
Old 10-05-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwollen89 View Post
I'm jealous that you're building a 14. I'm building a 7A, which I'm sure I'll be happy with when I'm done. But at times, the directions leave a lot to be desired. I made numerous phone calls, texts and did a ton of online research trying to figure out how to countersink these nut plates without muffing up my spars. In the end, I'm using a diagram from the 14 instructions and an article from a 2005 edition of the RVator as my guide
I built a -7 tailkit about 15 years ago, life happened and I sold it to a good home. The -14 is orders of magnitude easier to follow plans wise.

Just think about those scratch builders who put the RV-3 together from plans in the early days. That's impressive.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:53 PM

I want to add one thing that I learned when I did the spar countersinking. My first C/S chattered like a set of wind-up false teeth at the beginning. I stopped well before I reached full depth and spent several hours testing scrap trying to get a good countersink without chatter by varying pressure and speed.

Long story short, use an electric drill and keep at it until it reaches the limit. I got significant chatter at the beginning of the process and as it got deeper the pilot started to engage the nutplate hole better. At the end the chatter settled down and the resulting countersink, while not quite perfect, was well within the acceptable limits.

Edit: Also I used a single-flute (some places call it a zero-flute) countersink. Cuts like butter if you use the right pressure and don't forget to use Boelube on every hole. It'll keep the C/S quality high and the cutter will last much longer. You'll need a #40 and #30.
RV-14A Kit#140433
Last section completed: Flaps
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Aileron
Wing Kit Ordered 21 June 2021, Arrived May 6 2022
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on May 2022
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" (rhymes with "booze") is the opposite of "find". "Loose" (rhymes with "juice") means "not tight".

Last edited by StressedOut : 10-05-2022 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added additional information
Old 10-05-2022, 05:39 PM

Default Countersinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyconnell View Post
<snip>
Just think about those scratch builders who put the RV-3 together from plans in the early days. That's impressive.
This issue comes up often. Part of me wonders why Vans has never done anything about it like a huge warning in the manual or even cutting the countersinks before shipping. Yes, I know, expensive.
Another part of me wonders about all those birds flying around before this became so Vans Builder public. How many birds have countersinks too deep? I know walking through the Vans area at Airventure, I rarely saw a fuel tank skin that wasn't perfectly flush. Hmmm.
I'll get back to work on my 7A now.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:07 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
This issue comes up often. Part of me wonders why Vans has never done anything about it like a huge warning in the manual or even cutting the countersinks before shipping. Yes, I know, expensive.
Another part of me wonders about all those birds flying around before this became so Vans Builder public. How many birds have countersinks too deep? I know walking through the Vans area at Airventure, I rarely saw a fuel tank skin that wasn't perfectly flush. Hmmm.
I'll get back to work on my 7A now.
It's funny you say that. I was talking with one of my builder friends yesterday and we said the same thing. I've also watched some YouTube videos of guys that were countersinking their spars and commenting that they were going until the skins were flush. If that's the case, they are way too deep. But, you don't hear of wings coming apart so obviously it must not be a problem. Although, if you look at the spars, those huge reinforcement bars are where the tanks and countersinks are, so that's probably where the strength comes from. It's thoughts like that that reassure me the occassional bad rivet or oversized holes aren't going to cause my plane to turn into confetti mid-air

Last edited by dwollen89 : 10-07-2022 at 10:18 AM.