Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Engine Monitors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2022, 10:38 PM

I have a friend looking to install a EDM 730. Will the VDO 150 PSI bought on Amazon (VDO 360430) by the guy above used for the 350 work on the 730?
Thanks
Old 08-29-2022, 08:41 AM

I have a big update on my post (post 8) from this thread. I got oil pressure working on my JPI. This is rather convoluted and very likely completely dependent on the EDM firmware version, so your mileage may vary.

Back story (briefly): Around the first of the year (2022) I sent my EDM in for the J5 add-on for fuel pressure and levels. While there, JPI updated the firmware (which I naturally don't have with me). Fuel install went perfectly, but when I cranked up, oil pressure indicated 2-2.2x what it should have been (like, 150-180 psi). JPI didn't want to really talk about it and just wanted me to send it back in. So I just went back to my old steam gauge for oil pressure.

Fast Forward to this past weekend: After studying the 2017 and 2021 install manuals for the millionth time, I realized that the ONLY relevant difference for harness J3 was that Pin 4 was now shared between the MAP and Oil Pressure sensors (both indicated as i2s sensors). Obviously, my EDM was updated to support the i2s sensors (foreshadowing). So I spliced into the wire for pin 4 (my J3 harness is the older version as shown in the 2017 manual) and ran the power wire to a cheap Amazon i2s 150 psi sensor (for testing only), changed the sensor to i2s on the EDM and cranked up ol' Betsy.

Boom! 52 psi idle, 77 psi runup and 82 psi WOT (all static). So all good! Now waiting for my Kavlico to be delivered tomorrow.

There is a lot to unpack here that I won't get into. Such as why did the old oil pressure sensor show high numbers, the 2022 diagram shows VDO oil pressure on J5 when I am pretty sure that is VDO fuel pressure (as memory serves, but I can verify at some point), why does JPI call out a 30 psi i2s sensor for MAP to replace the 60 psi Motorola sensor (more foreshadowing), etc.

But there is one more thing that slowed the process down. At least on my firmware version, my EDM would not recognize the called out 30 psi i2s sensor for MAP. At all, just a big X! Yes, checked all connections for continuity and pin 4 for power. My guess is that my firmware version does not recognize it even though i2s is a selection in the menu. So I ended up staying with the Motorola sensor. Ground run indicated that sharing power between the Motorola and i2s oil pressure sensor (per 2021 manual with both sensors being i2s) causes no deleterious effects.

So yes, it is kind of shameful that it took 6 full months for it to finally sink in what was happening. But I'm kinda slow that way. I will update this thread after switching to a Kav sensor and test flight.

UPDATE: I guess I've got 20 or 25 hours since this post. All functions work perfectly since adding the Kavlico sensor.
RV-12 N124AD (2016) - Sold 2022
Cessna 140 (1948) - Sold 2006

Last edited by SwampRat : 10-05-2022 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-04-2022, 10:21 AM

Question JPI in general

Hello
Thanks for all who contributed to this thread. Lots of good info here.
As I am still waiting for the arrival of my new to me -4, I continue to explore panel options. After receiving a couple of quotes for a glass panel install, I may have to revisit options. But that leads me to the JPI product line.

The sensors discussions have been good reads.

How is JPI to deal with re customer service, turn around times, support, etc? It sounds like some members have had to find their own solutions to issues. Does that mean JPI customer/technical support is not great?
It sounds like changes to monitors ie adding sensors, requires the unit to be sent back to JPI? This may be troublesome for me being in Canada....don't know but will certainly add delays to whatever is normal.

Any input for me?
Thanks
Shawn
PA28-161
Flying RV4 project
Old 10-04-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
Hello
As I am still waiting for the arrival of my new to me -4, I continue to explore panel options. After receiving a couple of quotes for a glass panel install, I may have to revisit options. But that leads me to the JPI product line.

How is JPI to deal with re customer service, turn around times, support, etc? It sounds like some members have had to find their own solutions to issues. Does that mean JPI customer/technical support is not great?
It sounds like changes to monitors ie adding sensors, requires the unit to be sent back to JPI? This may be troublesome for me being in Canada....don't know but will certainly add delays to whatever is normal.

Any input for me?
Thanks
Shawn

I have had no issues with JPI the thread includes some questions, but my questions had nothing to do with JPI service and everything to do with wanting to save some money on sensors. I've spoken with JPI service a few times and have nothing bad to say. I'm sure they are not perfect, but they are good.

As far as sending back units for upgrade. This is done because some of us didnt order the full set of features we wanted, or we didn't understand the upgrade requirements to add sensors.

I'd strongly suggest you call JPI and have them help you configure your order and future proof the unit when you purchase. So example if you order from Aircraft Spruce you get the features in the software, but if you dont order the sensor, in some cases, you dont get the wires pinned to the connector. I ordered the full featured hardware but left out most sensor options. Adding Oil pressure was easy, bought the VDO gauge, plumbed and wired into the existing connectors that came with the unit. On the flip side, in order to add oil temp, I have to buy the sensor and wires and insert pins into the connectors, not a huge deal, but not easy to work under the panel either.

All in all I am VERY happy with the EDM350, small, easy to read, easy to setup. Their install manual is also very clear and easy to read/use.

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP 66" Catta 3 blade Carbon
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - Aera 760 - GFC500
JPI EMS-350 to monitor the temps
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
2022 Donation Happily Made!
Old 10-05-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
Hello

Any input for me?
Thanks
Shawn
Welcome to the RV World!

I think Johnny parses many of your concerns accurately and offers very sound advice that everyone should follow should they take the JPI route.

As an observation, JPI appears to have introduced the EDM 350 as an inexpensive alternative to their certified products for those of us in the experimental market. Their business model, however, is the certified world and I believe that their support practices for the 350 align with that model. This is fine and probably best in the long term, however we need to keep it in mind as this may sometimes run contrary to certain freedoms in which we are accustomed.

I walked into the JPI world as a babe in the woods, ordering just what I needed at the time with the intention of adding other sensors and functions al la carte. As they say, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Yeah, don't. Their products are always evolving and with that, so is their firmware.

So would I recommend a 350? Or more telling, would I do it all over again knowing what I know now? Yes. The unit was then and is now rock solid. In the end, results are what count. My mistake was in "checking the boxes" during the order without taking the time to learn and understand JPI's architecture. Read through their latest install and user manuals until you know exactly what features you want, list any questions, then once again follow Johnny's advice before you order.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:28 PM

Hey Johnny!

How did you know I ordered mine from Aircraft Spruce?