What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming fuel pump gasket

Rosie

Well Known Member
I just changed out my fuel pump and found out that a fuel gasket for a 1963 Pontiac Catalina 389ci engine fits perfectly :) Rosie

Lycoming_fuel_pump_gasket.jpg

Plus, that fel-pro gasket is better quality than anything available in the aircraft market.
BTW, that same gasket is used in all pre-1985 Chevy Small-blocks. As well as all traditional Pontiac V8's (1955-1979).

Paul any reason for changing the pump? Noticeable wear? I know you have a long trip ahead of you and want to eliminate potential failure (like you do with alternators :)) but was it giving you any trouble? Just interested I am almost at TBO with original pump and burning a lot of non-LL...

Paul any reason for changing the pump? Noticeable wear? I know you have a long trip ahead of you and want to eliminate potential failure (like you do with alternators :)) but was it giving you any trouble? Just interested I am almost at TBO with original pump and burning a lot of non-LL...

Yes Vlad...it's time to change the fuel pump when the fuel vent line to the outside world starts leaking oil instead of fuel :D Rosie

What is the recommended TBO on these pumps? Just curious (hopefully a long way from that point w/ only 300 hours on the engine, but just want to add it to my list of maintenance items ? la mags, etc.).

What is the recommended TBO on these pumps? Just curious (hopefully a long way from that point w/ only 300 hours on the engine, but just want to add it to my list of maintenance items ? la mags, etc.).

I don't know. My engine is almost at 2K I should have worded it better...

WHAT????????

An automotive gasket on an aircraft engine?

YOU'RE GOING TO FALL RIGHT OUT OF THE SKY!

Oh my...Mel...I used automotive Permatex on one side of the gasket...OH MY! Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back