What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improving Spousal Relations and achieving RV needs

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
What is a guy to do, he is asked by his wife to help with some new flower pots that are going to need a bunch of dirt from the store but he wants to keep building? Why, you kill two birds with one stone.

Objective:
1) Address the needs of the spouse - fill the planter pots
2) NOT spend RV money on dirt - is there anything more senseless?
3) Achieve RV project progress
4) Dispose of excess trash that would cost money to dispose of

Step 1:
Unpack engine box - remove packing foam:
WP_001257.jpg

Step 2:
Wait for wife to leave - fill bottom of flower pots with foam from Step 1
WP_001595.jpg

Step 3:
Empty dirt from old, smaller pots on top of foam, fill with flowers. Present to wife
WP_001633.jpg

Problem solved. Plus I got to put my airplane expertise to use, these pots are "built light", as there isn't all that unnecessary dirt weighing it down.

CAUTION:

DO NOT use Aircraft Spruce styrofoam packaging peanuts for this trick! They are water soluble and disappear the first time the pot is watered. Don't ask how I know!!! :eek:

Skylor

I'm not sure what I find funnier....CW's attempt at fooling the wife, or that skylor has already tried it, and apparently, failed. :p :D

>2) NOT spend RV money on dirt - is there anything more senseless?

A pedicure, perhaps?

Alright, so I slightly embellished a little. The wife knew about the foam and thought it was a great idea. The pots were too big to fill all the way with dirt. Little annual flowers like this only need 8-12" of dirt, and these pots are about 26" deep. So she wanted to go buy some smaller pots to put inside the new bigger pots. Then I remembered that a lot of florist shops use foam to fill voids. This is helps the soil drain, cuts down on weight and uses less organic material to fill pots.

So it's all approved and safe. I just thought it was funny I was able to find a use for my engine foam that was sitting in a bag waiting to be toated off to the land fill.

I told my wife about the concern here and she laughed. So thanks for looking out for her interests.

>2) NOT spend RV money on dirt - is there anything more senseless?

A pedicure, perhaps?

I think I have to agree on this. We have been married for 36 years and I know my wife has toes because sometimes she wears flip flops, but I would never know if she had a pedicure!!

And I am VERY jealous of you having your engine delivered. What a great day.

Thanks Charlie

Alright, so I slightly embellished a little. The wife knew about the foam and thought it was a great idea. The pots were too big to fill all the way with dirt. Little annual flowers like this only need 8-12" of dirt, and these pots are about 26" deep. So she wanted to go buy some smaller pots to put inside the new bigger pots. Then I remembered that a lot of florist shops use foam to fill voids. This is helps the soil drain, cuts down on weight and uses less organic material to fill pots.

So it's all approved and safe. I just thought it was funny I was able to find a use for my engine foam that was sitting in a bag waiting to be toated off to the land fill.

I told my wife about the concern here and she laughed. So thanks for looking out for her interests.

Not that it's important but I feel better knowing this.

Thanks,

Bob Axsom

Back