What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Artwork?

jjhoneck

Well Known Member
Are there any sources for Van's RV artwork?

We are tossing around ideas for a new aviation theme room at the hotel, and I would LOVE to do a "Van's Room" -- but there seems to be an absolute lack of quality RV artwork. You would think with thousands of them flying, Stan Stokes or Sam Lyons would be cranking out some great paintings!

Short of commissioning them, anyone got any ideas?

You need to talk with Mr. Tuttle!! (That would be Paul Tuttle here on the forums - Canadian Builder, Pilot, great artist and all-around good guy)

Here's a few I did.

Hi Jay,

Here are a few I've done.

This is of my RV-8

5ry2.jpg

Paul and Louise's RV-8

72af.jpg

RV-1 painting beside the RV-1

m2k8.jpg

Some fine people along with myself presenting the RV-1 painting to Van at Airventure 2012

3vh6.jpg

Hi Jay,

Here are a few I've done.

This is of my RV-8

5ry2.jpg

Paul and Louise's RV-8

72af.jpg

RV-1 painting beside the RV-1

m2k8.jpg

Some fine people along with myself presenting the RV-1 painting to Van at Airventure 2012

3vh6.jpg

Those are great, Paul!

Do you have prints available?

Just to clarify our intent, we currently have 23 different aviation themed rooms in Amelia's Landing Hotel. Each one represents a different era of aviation history, starting with the Wright Brothers and working our way up to the Reno Air Races.

I've got two rooms -- the Charles Lindbergh Room and the Spirit of St. Louis Room -- that are too similar. I want to make the Spirit of St. Louis Room into the Van's RV Room!

Thus, my need for artwork and memorabilia. Does anyone sell prints of the RV paintings you have done?

Also, we try to incorporate something tangible from the aircraft in each room. Thus, the Blackbird Room has a pitot/static tube and some wreckage from actual SR-71 Blackbirds, while the J3 Cub Room has the empennage of a Cub hanging on the wall.

So, I'd be looking for any surplus RV wing or tail parts, too!
--
Jay

Last edited:
The paintings I did of my and Paul Dye's planes are originals only.
Prints were made of the RV-1, but I don't know if there are any left.
Paul D may know if there are a few kicking around.

Just to add... My wife & I spent 1 week in the "PanAm Clipper" room last year. I can say we had a GREAT time at the hotel as well as in and around the Port Aransas area. If you are flying anywhere near the area, this is a place you need to go. Jay & Mary are superb hosts.

:cool:

The paintings I did of my and Paul Dye's planes are originals only.
Prints were made of the RV-1, but I don't know if there are any left.
Paul D may know if there are a few kicking around.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the "standard" RV-1 prints that were left at OSH were sent home with the Van's guys - you might check with them - Joe Blank would be a good contact. Many prints were lost when the storm rollled through mid-week I think.

If there are any limited edition prints left, Ernie Butcher (Special Delivery on the forums) would know.

Augh! No prints of those beautiful paintings, Paul? That is such a shame... I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

If anyone knows John Stahr, he's emailed me several times about his RV art. I've responded positively each time, but his responses seem to indicate that he's not receiving my emails. I suspect an overaggressive Spam filter?

If someone could let him know I'm interested, I'd be grateful.

RV art

Mr Raymond Waddey does airplane art. He did a painting of my RV4 that has my house in the background. I can send you a copy of if you want. He does not have email, I have his phone # . A Google search will probably turn up some samples of his work. He works from photos and his paintings have great detail.

RV Art and More!!!!

....There is a fellow RV builder who is without a doubt one of the finest photographic artists in the country. His name is "Thomas Saknit" and one of his specialties is aviation photography, still and air to air as well. He has a vast library of work available, or he also will travel to you and perform his magic to immortalize your passion. Below is some of his work with my airplane (He rejected these) that I have here on my computer. He is a true artist and one of the most gracious people I have ever met. Anyone interested in contacting him just let me know and I will pass on his contact information. Happy New Year guys, Allan...:D

....There is a fellow RV builder who is without a doubt one of the finest photographic artists in the country. His name is "Thomas Saknit" and one of his specialties is aviation photography, still and air to air as well. He has a vast library of work available, or he also will travel to you and perform his magic to immortalize your passion. Below is some of his work with my airplane (He rejected these) that I have here on my computer. He is a true artist and one of the most gracious people I have ever met. Anyone interested in contacting him just let me know and I will pass on his contact information. Happy New Year guys, Allan...:D

Very nice! Please share his contact info.

Hey, look what showed up today in Port Aransas, thanks to Ron!

994091_622305967805301_1664979209_n.jpg

Ron, I forgot to ask -- is it airworthy? And does it fit my -8? :D

Here's a detail of the artwork on the rudder:

1506454_622305847805313_1083190280_n.jpg

And here's another item he donated to the new room -- a cool Falcon Flight patch!

1558440_622361611133070_1415083619_n.jpg

The generosity of pilots always amazes me. We have had SO many cool items of artwork and memorabilia donated over the years, simply because pilots appreciated what we're doing. Everything from artwork autographed and donated by Bob Morgan (for our Memphis Belle Room) to a dozen Reno Air Race posters (donated by RARA for our Reno Air Race Room), to P-51 Mustang parts (from Vlado Lenoch) for our Mustang Room -- the donations have always humbled and astounded me.

Thanks, Ron! When I finish the room in a couple of months (it's slated for completion after the Stearman and Lindbergh room renovations), I will let you know, and you can come visit your rudder! :D

Back